Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Continuous Backlight

Probably stupid idea: if a key-event occurs, some command is passed to the JVM/ MIDlet, so could it be possible to simulate a regular key event to keep the backlight on by passing that code in timed intervals to the application. Anyone knows if this would work?

Chris

Sounds logical, but how are you going to simulate this event?
    I can see ways only if you work from Symbian side. But this way it's simpler to keep the light on using Symbian backlight facilities

Regular Contributor
    Yes, but from other threads I understand this will not work on MIDP 1.0 handsets, on your 1st question: no clue yet on how I am going to do it.

You can use "com.nokia.mid.ui.DeviceControl.setLights(0, 100);" for all Series 40 phones to keep the backlight on. However, it doesn't work on the 6600.

.rex

One of the ways i found to make these calls is thought the APIs being provided.

The functions are there but it simply does nothing is a waste.

I wonder then would they really implement the features (backlight & vibration) in DirectUtils.

It's very simple. Add this code to your Paint Method:
    DeviceControl.setLights(0, 100);

For Instance, lately I developed a game in which I used 3 classes viz: Intro Screen, Game Screen & Game Over Screen. I added the above line of code to the Paint Method of all these 3 classes. And no wonder backlights were on throughout the application runtime.

But this one doesn't work on 60 Series handsets. It's fine all the 30S & 40S handsets.

Regular Contributor
    Listen. not too elegant, but for Series 60 (6600) I just filmed my logo for 5 seconds on the 6600 (12Kb), and set it into my canvas decreasing its size with set DisplaySize() and perpetual loop (-1), it serves to keep the backlight on.

Chris

Get FExplorer from http://www.gosymbian.com/ and use the Tools menu option it has to turn the light on (and leave the program running when you switch to other apps, instead of closing it).