Discussion Board

Nokia 3510/3510i/3595/6100/etc Soundfont

Hey, forgive me if this doesn't belong here, but I thought this would be useful to a few of you guys.

I went ahead and created a Soundfont that simulates the sound of the phones above. It's small (2.2MB) and could help out those who don't feel like using/can't use the SP-MIDI Creator.

Anyways, if you're interested, here's the download link:
    The Soundfont

Comparison:
    SP-MIDI Creator
    Soundfont

what?

hi

can u please tell what is a sound font?

cassamine

A soundfont is a file that works on soundfont-compatible synthesizers (e.g. Creative SoundBlaster cards) that essentially replaces the sample set on the synth. Thus, you can make the synth sound as [un]realistic as you want. This particular file makes the synthesizer sound like the synth on the above phones.

Who knows, maybe I'll do a DLS and/or Giga file later.

Regular Contributor
    what process did you use to sample the tones in these phones?

hey, how do I use this soundfont then?
    I use fruitly loops to compose tones and have a creative sound blaster sound card....
    cheers.

Sorry for the late reply... Half a month, geez.

Anyways, everything was sampled from the Cubase Nokia SP-MIDI Creator (I think that's what it's called).

To use the Soundfont in a Creative sound card, you'll have to load the soundfont file to memory. Unfortunately, the process for loading the file is different depending on which sound card you have.

If you have a SoundBlaster Live card, open up the Soundfont app in your AudioHQ program. If I remember correctly, you hit "load" and open up the file.

For the Audigy, look for the Soundfont Bank Manager. Click Bank, and select the soundfont file.

I believe there's also a tool for using Soundfonts in FruityLoops, but I can't help you there since I don't have the program.

Regular Contributor
    did you just sample the output of one selected pitch or did you sample several pitches for each timbre in the sound bank?

Each instrument was sampled at points where you can tell note A is using one sample and note B is using another.

Samples were also taken when sound quality began to suffer (maybe from stretching a bit too far) and when I just felt like using another sample.

I've already noticed a few places this 'font could use improvement (e.g. one of the percussion sounds is off by an octave).