Discussion Board

Problem MMC+USB Connection

This is a copya&paste from N-Gage Arena Forums...
    Someone can help me???
    Thx

fede

Posted: 23 Nov 2003 14:35 Post subject: Problem with MMC+usb connection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, i'm the administrator of a spanish ngage community and one user post this problem...
    I repeat exactly he did anda now i have the same problem T_T
    We formatted the MMC card with NTFS file system, at this moment connection to pc works ok...
    After we try to access to the MMC card with the phone, how we supposed we get an error because the phone don't ahve ntfs support.
    Ok, then we formatted the mmc with the phone, all ok. We can now access to the mmc with the phone but surprise! now we can't access via usb connection.
    When we connect the phone windows xp doesn't recognize any device...
    I tried in my other pc and also doesn't recognize anything
    Someone can help us?
    Thx.

taco

Posted: 24 Nov 2003 07:22 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i am having the same problem, however, the usb connection will work when i have a game installed instead of the blank mmc.

I called nokia and they couldnt help so now i have to take the phone back to the shop where i bought it from to get it checked out...

prahaps there is a glitch in the way the n-gage formats mmcs? although i did format the mmc in fat32, then via the phone as the phone says the memory card is corrupt if its in fat32, and then it was still working with usb for a while, and i am sure i didnt do anything to the card and it just wouldnt work anymore

virtualeech

Posted: 24 Nov 2003 10:00 Post subject:

Try formatting the card from your PC with FAT16. That should work on both machines.

taco

Posted: 25 Nov 2003 07:32 Post subject:

leech - i dont think you undertsand, the mmc has been formatted with the phone, so its in whatever the ngages native format is, but it is completely inaccessable from the PC, so unless we have a card reader formatting the card in fat16 is impossible

lazyd

Posted: 25 Nov 2003 07:35 Post subject:

im confused... what are u guys talkin about... rephrase it plz

virtualeech

Posted: 25 Nov 2003 09:46 Post subject:

You sad you did format the card with FAT32. Since the n-gage doesn't do that (it uses FAT16) I assumed you had a card reader. How else did you get your card formatted at FAT32?

Also fede sad he formatted the card with NTFS, that means he must also have a card reader. NTFS will never work on the n-gage.

fede

Posted: 26 Nov 2003 18:51 Post subject:

virtualeech i formatted mmc card with ntfs with the usb connection and ther was no problem...
    when i unplugged the phone and started to work with mmc the phone tells me that mmc is corrupted(all ok), then i formatted the mmc with the phone and after this i tried the usb connection and didn't work...
    I also think this can be fixed formatting mmc with FAT16 in a card reader, the only problem is i haven't a card reader

taco

Posted: 27 Nov 2003 06:51 Post subject:

i ended up going back to the shop where i bought the ngage from and let the tech guys there help out.
    they gave me a new mmc and everything is good now, though i would have liked to find out if formatting the mmc with a card reader would have fixed the mmc (if so then that means there is a problem with the way n-gage formats mmcs)
    anyways, i am not going to format my mmc until a need arises

virtualeech

Posted: 27 Nov 2003 12:07 Post subject:

The problem was that you formatted the MMC with Windows through the USB. You should never do that. Justformat on the nGage or with a cardreader

taco

Posted: 28 Nov 2003 05:59 Post subject:

leech, i dont think you are understandinhg at all, while we both DID format the mmc with windows, the n-gage will not reconize the card and will say that it is corrupt and tell you to format the card (on the n-gage). this was not the problem.

now after we formatted the mmc using the n-gage, the n-gage is happy with it and is functioning fine, but the usb will no longer work. (although for me, the problem was NOT trigger by a format, i am fairly sure it happened after i disconnected the usb after transferring files, then the next time i tried - nothing)

I formatted the MMC about a dozen times using the n-gage, i formatted the n-gage a few times and i formatted my PC to be sure, but the usb was still was not working with the n-gage formatted MMC, however the usb WOULD work with a game MMC (sonicN)

I called nokia they were puzzled. I went back to the shop where i got it, they tested it, they rang nokia, tried everything nokia suggested, then tried another MMC and the new MMC was working fine with the usb.

so my question now is how does an MMC be faulty so as to be functioning fine fine in the n-gage but block the usb connection?

and as far as i knew the n-gage acted just like a card reader when plugged into the usb...

virtualeech

Posted: 28 Nov 2003 10:44 Post subject:

I understand your problem but what I meant with my last post is that if you format the MMC through Windows (n-gage is indeed just like a card reader when hooked up with USB) you can also format is with NTFS, FAT32 and some others the n-gage doesnt 'support. So it st safer(better?) to format your MMC with the n-gage. It was just meant as a warning for other people.

As for your current problem; is Windows maybe expecting a different format. The card was first formatted though WIndows so maybe windows keeps track of this somewhere and now associate this card id number with FAT32 or NTFS because as far as windows knows this was the original format of the card. It shouldn;t do this but with windows you never know. Is it somehow possible to change the card id number so windows can be fooled?

EDIT: If the MMC also didn't work with the Windows version at the shop then the above coulds not heve been the problem. Sorry.

Have you tried getting more info on the card with WinHex? It's a nice program that gives very detailed information obout the format of the card (or any other drive) and it's contents.

beermonsta

Posted: 28 Nov 2003 17:01 Post subject:

Get an MMC reader it'll only cost you a few quid (£5 UK pounds) put it in the card reader and format in fat 16 as virtualleech said Even though it does`nt pick the card up when it`s in the n-gage the card reader will read it.

Not sure why the N-gage will no longer read it but see if once it has been formated in fat16 format the n-gage will then read it. If it does`nt just continue to use the card reader.

fede

Posted: 29 Nov 2003 12:30 Post subject:

beermonsta i picked up a card reader and i formatted my mmc with fat16(all cluster 512,1024,etc..), fat32, ntfs...
    I tried with partition magic, i tried with all i had in my hands and the usb connection don't work anyway...
    I'm starting to get crazy and i don't find any help in any place...
    And, the solution "go back to the shop..." isn't good for me...
    I want to repair this by myself...and if i have to learn the native symbian filesystem and program a formatter i will do it, but this is my last try...

Re: Problem MMC+USB Connection