Discussion Board

CTelephony construction fails (Nokia 6600)

According to the instruction found in SDK2.0 help (Third Party Telephony) and attached example I wrote a test application for making outgoing data call.
    I faced the problem at the point of construction:

void CClientApp::ConstructL()
    {
    iTelephony = CTelephony::NewL();
    CActiveScheduler::Add(this);
    }

The result is that application closes immediately after it has been started.

Any help?

HSagovac

Regular Contributor
    Hi,

Your problem is probably caused by the fact that etel3rdparty.dll is missing in the device. The problem is under investigations.

Best Regards,
    Marko / Forum Nokia

Dear Marko / Forum Nokia /,

I must say that I'm little bit confused now.
    Practically speaking, after the solution is found we will need to perform SW upgrade on all our Nokia6600 in order to make them support ETel3rdParty API. Am I right?
    Technically it could be a problem for us and our clients. Is Nokia's authorised service center in our country supposed to do this free of charge?
    Generally when do you think the solution could be found and what it takes?

HSagovac

Can't we install also dll?

Can the solution be the installation of etel3rdparty.dll in Nokia 6600 device through the .sis file?
    Has anyone tried this solution? I haven't done it yet because I don't know the right location in the device where to put the dll: I don't think it shall go in the same place of the application...
    Regards.

Isn't this situation getting a little bit weird?

First, ETel 3rd Party Telephony API was "not supported" by Nokia 6600 v3.42.1 (etel3rdparty.dll missing). Then, it was apparently "not supported" on subsequent versions of 6600 FW. Then it was STILL "not supported" by 7610, which came out much later. Now, Series 60 Developer Platform 2 Feature Pack 2 README file lists ETel core API as "DEPRECATED", stating that "ETel Core APIs will be removed in future". To add injury to an insult, Nokia 6600 has been plagued by various ETel Core problems related to Data Calls from the get go.

ETel Core fails for data calls on current Series 60 DP 2 phones, but what's worse, ETel Core is on its way out, it simply WILL NOT BE SUPPORTED. CTelephony (aka ETel 3rd Party Telephony API) would probably work just fine, except the Series 60 DP 2 phones out there today DO NOT SUPPORT IT.

So, may I ask how are software developers supposed to develop applications that require data connection over CSD/HSCSD for both current Series 60 DP2 phones and future ones?!? Mind you, this is NOT a rhetorical question, I am actually looking for some kind of solution to work around the hefty Nokia errata!