Discussion Board

Nokia series 40 phones: cctivating provisioned settings

Hi,

Short version of the question: Does anyone know how to make OMA provisioned settings active with one touch on Nokia series 40 phones?

Long version: If a provisioning message encoded using the Nokia Ericsson OTA 7 standard is sent to a Nokia series 40 phone the end user is given the option to activate the incoming settings automatically by pressing just one key. This is a very nice feature. However, this does not seem possible using OMA Client provisioning on the Nokia 6220. I've done some testing and looked at the documentation. It seems that settings sent using the OMA standard can only be activated on the Nokia 6220 by navigating through the phone menu and activating the settings. For combined settings (eg a provisioning message to set browser, MMS, Email, Presence, SyncML settings) this could be a long and painful process for the end user. It is possible that the end user will make a mistake or give up.

Is there a way to make the provisioned settings in series 40 phones active without the end user having to manually activate the settings? If not do Nokia have plans to introduce this feature. It would be very nice.

Thanks for your help,

Sean.

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hi!

This has been implemented in Nokia 6220. If the configuration (OMA Client Provisioning document) is secured using IMSI code, less user interaction is needed. Also when using OMA CP, all settings (MMS, e-mail, Browser, WV....) can be received in one configuration message.

Teemu / Forum Nokia

problems activating settings on new 6220's

hi,

we are experiencing a kind of similar problem on the 6220 phone. When we recieve the phones directly from the factory these phones containts 10 empty configurations. And the services (WAP) application and MMS application uses by default one of these empty messages. So when we try to send OMA MMS / WAP configuration messages to these phones we have to replace one of these empty settings. So far everythings seems fine. I recieve the settings and by viewing them I can see that a message is intended for either the "service" application or the "multimedia messaging" application. But when I for example store a WAP config OMA message the config is stored ok for WAP, but the same WAP config set is stored in the Multimedia messaging application to be used for MMS. When I now send a MMS config, it will not replace the WAP settings that was set when I sent the WAP settings. The same thing happens when I try the otherway around by sending MMS config first.. Then the services application takes the MMS config and it will not be replaced by the second WAP config message. The same OMA settings are used successfully with the Nokia 6600. And I have tried both using User Pin security and IMSI security with the same result.

It seems the default empty settings are creating the problems.
    If I delete some of empty settings before I send the OMA messages everything works fine. When I try to send the settings in one message the message is too long for 3 concenated SMS messages, so that is unfortuantly not an option for us.

Can someone tell me if there is a workaround for this problem except deleting the empty settings first?

Thanks for all help
    /
    ssosa

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hi!

Could you post me the XML files you are trying to send? Let me try to repeat this problem. You can send these files to smart.messaging@nokia.com or as an attachment to this post.

Another thing, why 3 SMS messages are too long? I have created configuration context that may take up to 15 separate SMS messages.

Teemu / Forum Nokia

XML files sent..

Hi again..

and thanks for the quick response.. I have now sent my XML-files to the email adress you supplied...

I can only send three concenated SMS messages because that is the maximum of our CPA connection.

but as I have pointed out earlier and also in the e-mail, the config message itself does not seem to be the problem because when I delete some empty settings the configurations are stored correctly and fuctions perfectly..

grateful for any help..

regards
    ssosa.

hi auvinent..

have you had any time to check this problem yet?

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hi!

Yes, phone can hold up to 10 different configuration context. Only the first set will be activated. If this first set holds only the MMS or Browser settings, only the MMS or Browser settings will become active.

User interference (to activate received settings) is required when receiving second settings. To avoid this, you should include MMS, Browser, WV and E-mail settings to the first configuration context that becomes active.

ps. I have reported this behavior to our R&D, I'm not quite sure is this is an error or a feature...

Teemu / Forum Nokia

Hi auvinent,

thanks for clearing this up. This explains the behaviour nicely.

From our point of view this is a fault! Here's why:

We always assume that the end user has previously configured the device, perhaps with settings from a different operator or a different OTA provider. For the Nokia 6220 we will therefore instruct all end users to activate the settings manually to avoid loosing end users'. This gives rather a long set of instructions which will be offputting to end users. Whatever we do, the operator will loose some customers.

Nokia devices have been one of the easiest to configure in the past. We hope this continues

Sean.