Discussion Board

downloading apps from xhtml page

Hi,
    I just started creating my own xHTML pages for my 6600. My question is: How can download and install java and symbian apps on my phone ? when i directly put a link to any .jar or .sis file on my server and download it to my phone, the phone opens the nokia notepad instead of the program manager.

Can anyone provide me a sample code in creating this page?

Please...

thanks.

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hello!

It seems that you should check that the MIME types are configured correctly to your server e.g.:

application/vnd.symbian.install MIME type associated to the .sis extension.

You can also see how to use more advanced download methods from Forum Nokia web site.

Kind regards,

sami / Forum Nokia Developer Support

Hi,

How did you solved this problem in downlaoding the sis application on Nokia 6600? The same problem is happening with me, the notepad is opened and I cant install it.

Luis

Hi,

I have also the same problem on my 6600 when trying to download .3gp video file. The phone tries to open it with notepad...

Is there any solution for the problem??

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hi!

Have you checked that the MIME type associated to the file extension is correct on the server?

Br,
    sami
    Forum Nokia

Yes, I have.

The funny thing is that the .3gp video downloading works just fine with other phone models. It's just the 6600 which gives me headache.

I have also upgraded my 6600's software version to 5.27.0 because I though it might help, but no. I have tried this also with my friend's 6600 and I got the same result, it won't work.

I can't figure out why .3gp video downloading works with other phone model and not with the 6600.

Do you have any answers, solutions or theories to this problem??

Regular Contributor
    Hello,

have you possibility to share the address of that 3gp file?

I could test to download it using my service provider.

Br,
    Pete

It's not possible at the moment, because the server where my application (and .3gp files) are located is currently down. I don't know how long its going to take that they can fix it, but I'll get back to you as soon as the server is up and running again.

Super Contributor
    Hello!

I see the discussion where was problem to download sis files, because they came as a note to the phone.

The *. prefix before sis was remowed and downlaoding start to work normally.

(application/vnd.symbian.install sis)

-tum-