Discussion Board

Getting Location Info using javax.microedition.location ==> jsr179

Hi,

I recently downloaded the jsr179_Final_Release10.pdf from this site which clearly states how it is possible to retrieve location info.

Now, I am wondering how to integrate the javax.microedition.location API with other existing classes in my Nokia Developer's Suite for J2ME SDK which supports both MIDP 1.0 and MIDP 2.0 API's for development.

I am wondering how to add the javax.microedition.location API with other MIDP 2.0 API's....!

Is there anyone who's already done this? If yes, how? Any suggesstions, advices are warmly welcomed.

Thanks,
    Best Regards,
    LearningCurve.

Regular Contributor

Re: Getting Location Info using javax.microedition.location ==> jsr179

hi,
    i am also trying the same thing, but dnt know how to use those api to get mobile location info..plz tell me what devlopment environment i need to write all these stuff. I want the location info for Nokia N-series mobiles with Symbian OS using Java as my prog lang.
    also i went through the API info.bt how to use those...

Nokia Developer Champion

Ci SanjayKhuntia,

you can check code samples to retrieve location in Java ME on this Forum Nokia Wiki page:

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...E_Location_API

About available development tools: you can use both Sun's WTK or specific S60 Symbian SDK for Java to test your Location-based apps, since both of them support Location API.

Hope it helps,
    Pit

Regular Contributor

thanks for the reply, just tell me an I get MCC,MNC,LAC and Cell Id using those nokia APIs with the particular SDK for SymbianOS...?give me a clear picture..do i have to use a GPS mobile device to fetch the locational information? plz help me out regarding this...

Nokia Developer Champion

MCC, MNC, LAC and Cell ID are not coming through JSR-179. Some devices might have some system properties which will get you some of that information. On some devices those properties do not exists, or they might require operator/manufacturer signing.

For S60 3rd Edition FP2 related information see for example here
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/document/...C996A25D7.html

Hartti

Regular Contributor

hi Hartti,
    the APIs are ok as far as I want those information, but if i want the whole location string of mobile without any GPS or Swithcing Centre help, can i get that? Can i get the exact location of the Nokia Symbian S60 mobiles fetching that info from the device itself with some symbian OS specific API? if yes, where the API are located? if No, what is the remedy for this kind of information searching?

I saw the j2me API to get system properties info, etelbgsm lib and CTelephony lib. In some way or other, they are taking some GPS information to track the locational info..I don't want to use those thing..What i want, just get the location string of the mobile from the mobile without any operators help/positioning technology help.
    please provide me with some links/codes.

Thanks for all your support...

Nokia Developer Champion

I'll pass the Symbian questions. Not an expert on those APIs..

Hopefully someone, else will chime in..

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Sorry but I don't fully understand what exactly do you need.

If you need the MCC, MNC, LAC & CellID, you could get these from the CTelephony (S60 3rd edition) or MobInfo API (S60 1st/2nd edition).

Unfortunately these API are not available from Java Me, ony from Symbian C++ (or python...). One solution will be to write a symbian daemon that gets those parameters and then you would have to use a socket to connect to the daemon from your Java application and retrive the values.

Hi rrafols and all,
    I am a colleague of Sanjay. Our requirement is to have a location based application which would search for nearby ATMs/banks/restaurant etc depending on the location/CellID of the device.
    For that we require the CellID. Once the CellID is obtained we might need some support from the operator so that we can pass the CellID and the text provided (like search for restaurants etc) to get the required information.

It would also be great if you can provide us some information regarding how we can implement the links between phone and operator and vice versa (to send the request and get back the response from the operator). As far as we know MLP should be implemented for the links. Please correct us if i am wrong.

Thanks and Regards,
    Alhad