Discussion Board

MIDlet signing with Thawte cert for 6600

Hi,

I'm trying to sign a MIDlet for use on a Nokia 6600. The certificate used for signing the MIDlet is issued by Thawte, it is signed with their code signing CA cert (which is signed by the Thawte Premium Server CA certs that is on the device, so according to the MIDlet spec this should work).

The signed MIDlet can be used with WTK 2.0 OTA (after manually adding the code signing CA cert to the JAD file (Nokia MIDP 2.0 SDK and WTK 2.0 'forget' to add this intermediate cert)), the 6600 refuses to install the MIDlet. The error popup lists "Installation security error. Unable to install".

Why does the device refuse to install the MIDlet (where do I look for additional information on the error??) and/or what do I need to change to get the device to accept the MIDlet? (Changing the Trust Settings on the Thawte Premium Server CA cert doesn't change a thing)

Any hints?

Regular Contributor
    First, try to install it without puting protected APIs in the MIDlet-permissions section, as if you don't get the permission the MIDlet is not installed - as you described.

Anyway, could you describe how did you get the sign? Can everyone take it?

When my first MIDlet did not work I tried a basic Hello World example (just one TextBox with an exit handler). Signed it and it fails to install as well. (The jad can be found at http://office.the-box.com/midlets/ScreenTest.jad )

Getting a developer cert at Thawte is no problem. They have Java related help on-line listing all the commands you need to run to create the request.
    However, as at this moment I can't get the Thawte code signing certs working for the 6600 (SUNs Wireless Toolkit emulator accepts the signed MIDlet without any problems), I would not recommend anyone spending money on them right now.
    Either I'm doing something wrong, the 6600 does not accept MIDlets signed with Thawte certs or the 6600 does not accept signed MIDlets at all.
    Does anyone knowledgable care to comment? (Nokia???)

Jac

Re: MIDlet signing with Thawte cert for 6600

Hi Jac,

Well i would like to ask few question:
    1. Does your N6600 has Thawte root certificate? If not then i think you require Thawte root certificate on your N6600. install it.

After that try following with your signed jad:
    - you will have following attributes in your signed jad.
    MIDlet-Certificate-1-1:
    MIDlet-Certificate-1-2:
    MIDlet-Certificate-1-3:
    - Remove MIDlet-Certificate-1-3: line from your jad and try to install it.

I hope this will work fine.

Om