Discussion Board

Super Contributor

DEF file in the Animation Example

Hi,

What is the animation_clientU def file in the bwins folder in the animation example. Is it generated or we have to define it

Regards,
    Sunil

Posted by sunny singh, sunny178@yahoo.com
    on February 09, 2002 at 03:03

Super Contributor

RE: DEF file in the Animation Example

Posted by Forum Nokia Developer Support, communicator.developer@nokia.com
    on February 12, 2002 at 14:08

Hi,

The .def file defines which exports (functions) appear in the DLL's import library (.lib). If the EXPORTUNFROZEN statement is added to the projects .mmp file, all exports appear in the import library.

Released versions of DLLs should freeze their exports, to ensure the backward compatibility of new releases of a library. To create a .def file, build the project in the normal way. A warning will be generated to the effect that the frozen .def file does not yet exist. Once the project has been built you can freeze it by calling the 'abld freeze' command.

Once the project is frozen, remove the EXPORTUNFROZEN statement and regenerate the makefiles so that the import library will be created from the .def file.

Regards,
    Forum Nokia
    Developer Support

Thumbs up Re: DEF file Creation

Hello,

I am surprised to see the same comment as given in developer technical library for def file creation, which myself is not able to create using vc 7.0(.net) enviornment.

Even when i give the following lines in my dlls .mmp file (as follows):-

EXPORTUNFROZEN

#if defined(WINS)
    deffile .\LabelGridCtrlwins.def
    #else if defined(ARM)
    deffile .\LabelGridCtrlarm.def
    #endif
    nostrictdef

is given in .mmp file of dll (dynamic). Dll is created but without def file!

There is some point which is missed? I am eagerly looking for kind reply.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Bye
    Anil Kumar Sharma
    (PL)

Hi,

The .def file defines which exports (functions) appear in the DLL's import library (.lib). If the EXPORTUNFROZEN statement is added to the projects .mmp file, all exports appear in the import library.

Released versions of DLLs should freeze their exports, to ensure the backward compatibility of new releases of a library. To create a .def file, build the project in the normal way. A warning will be generated to the effect that the frozen .def file does not yet exist. Once the project has been built you can freeze it by calling the 'abld freeze' command.

Once the project is frozen, remove the EXPORTUNFROZEN statement and regenerate the makefiles so that the import library will be created from the .def file.

Regards,
    Forum Nokia
    Developer Support[/QUOTE]