Discussion Board

Purchasing phone through plan

Would anyone know what the story is on testing software on Nokia phones.

Do we need to buy them from Nokia or one of the carrier's developer plans or can we just buy a cable or wirelessly (infrared or bluetooth) upload apps to a store bought phone ?

Nextel/Moto wouldn't let you download apps to a phone unless you used a web enbaled app they mapped to a particular phone you had with them.

We have software we're testing and rather than just use the loaner program, we'd like to buy a phone either through Nokia's plan or through the cheaper alternative of picking up a phone at the mall.

thanks

Super Contributor
    You don't need any developer certification to upload apps on Nokias. Nothing like the Moto WebJAL thingy.

shmoove

depends what kind of software you're talking about.

J2ME apps can be uploaded to any old web server with the right MIME type and downloaded to most regular J2ME phones using OTA (Over the air) , you'll need a network contract of course.

Symbian apps can be installed via the infra red port on most nokias running Symbian direct from the PC.

STK (Sim toolkit) applications need permission from the network operator themselves (it's their SIM you would be messing with) I don't think there's any way around that.

Am just doing J2ME apps so the OTA sounds good for distribution.

For development does the USB cable come with the phone or do I need to buy it seperately ?

thanks

Super Contributor
    Nokia handies are not too well adapted to the USB cable. I'd suggest you buy a device that has infrared or bluetooth and use that to upload the apps. It's much easier.

shmoove

The 3300 is one of our target phones.

It seems to use only the USB cable or OTA to download apps and content. Does the USB cable come with a new 3300 ?

We would prefer to use Bluetooth but it does not seem to be an option on the 3300.