Discussion Board

Thread: SMS Gatway

SMS Gatway

Hello.
    There are kot SMS Gateway is avalaible but i want to develop my SMS Gateway,bcoz i have some different requirment.
    can i one tell me from where should i start.
    Anupam

java sms api.

hei , we have java sms api enabling to connect to number of smsc using smpp, cimd, ucp, gsm data. If you would like to know more how it can help you please email us vanya11@one.ee

Re: SMS Gatway

Hi,
    I want to developed an application using SMS gateway.
    My query is:

1)If i developed an application then Is it necessary to install those application into our consumer mobile or stored in sms gateway server or what?

2)When the consumer send request for those service how it reach to SMS Gateway server.What i understand till now
    is first it will went to my cell operator then it went to SMS Gateway.Is there any specific port through which SMS gateway listen from mobile network operator or what else?

Thank in advance.

Super Contributor

1) I would say that it depends on what kind of an application you're talking about. From your description (or lack thereof) it is hard to say.

2) If you want your application on a server to receive SMS, you have these options:

- you connect a phone with a valid SIM card directly to your server

- you make an agreement with network operators to route SMS traffic to specific shortcodes to your server

The latter requires you in each country to contact the national regulator or whomever issues shortcodes and buy one, or partner with some existing service provider for shared use of an existing shortcode.

In addition, you need to make agreements with the local network operators/carriers so that they route the SMS from their SMSC to your server.

You need to repeat the process in every country, with every network you need/want the traffic from. Roughly 200 countries (all might not be of interest to you) in the world, and probably something around 1000 network operators/carriers to deal with.

You can also contact existing operator billing/payment aggrecators in various regions who already have done most of the work related to this (it adds an extra "middle-man", but is probably faster and possibly also cheaper if you build up the required skills and do it yourself).

In doing this, there are costs to acquire and keep the shortcodes.

There are also costs to making such an operator connection and maintaining it.

And there're also costs for defining/managing different premium SMS pricepoints.

And the operators take also their share from each SMS transaction (share varies by operator, by country, by content type/purpose, by your negotiation power).

And intermedia service providers (aggregators) also have fees (setup costs, maintenance costs, transaction fees, other service costs for reporting, etc.).

Note also that the various countries have different taxation rules and regulations, too. And the taxmen always want a piece of things.

If you don't want to go to a premimum SMS charging route (the sender pays normal rates for their operator to send SMS to your number, and you pay your operator whatever they charge you for their SIM card and receiving SMS), then you can use the modem connected to your own server approach. In that case look up free SMS gateways like http://www.kannel.org/

Hi,
    Thanks for your valuable suggestion Petrib.It really give me some idea about the application development.

I want to developed an application which is use for advertisement such as fr discount in a shop & people around that network local can get the message for that.After that if some body interested then send the request for some product availability checking request.
    So my question is whether i should first developed an application then bye the SMS Gateways help for those short code or what.
    If some body want to developed such application then what is the prior things he need to do?
    What basic understanding he has other then knowledge of J2ME if he want to developed the application in J2ME.
    As per your suggestion if some one want to go for SMS Gateway method then did he need the SMS Gateway from the beginning day of development of application or what?

Hi,
    If some body have any idea how to start developing an sms based service application then please guide.
    1)Is it necessary to use of SMS Gateway or any other technology also there people used in it industries.Please i need a input on this question...reply re welcome..
    2)Is there any alternative solution there to SMS Gateways?
    Is there any other things i need other then SMS Gateways to developed application in J2ME?
    Reply ARE WELCOME IN aDVANCE....

Super Contributor

Start by hooking up one of your own phones to Kannel (link in my previous post). If you want it to be a commercial service, you need to do all I described in the same post with operators/aggregators (so, make sure your business plan takes all that into account, before you start spending too much money on the actual development).

Question Re: SMS Gatway

I want to developed my own SMS gateway.
    Did any body have any idea how to start?
    Whether i need to understand all the protocol supported by SMS or without understanding of all protocol we can make our SMS Gateway?
    Is there any free software there in market which can we used with Mode to set up a SMS Gateway.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by sureshpathak2009 View Post
    I want to developed my own SMS gateway.
    Did any body have any idea how to start?
    Whether i need to understand all the protocol supported by SMS or without understanding of all protocol we can make our SMS Gateway?
    Is there any free software there in market which can we used with Mode to set up a SMS Gateway.
    Do you actually read any of the replies to your messages? If not, please start now and go back up a couple of replies and klick on the Kannel link above.

¡Hola!

Te dejo este link para que tengas una idea de un Servidor SMS Gateway http://www.ozeki.hu/

Saludos...