Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Where is the future of mobile phone Games?

I all wondering how to you all see the market going in the next 2 years or so?

Where will the technology go and what trend will the games go in??

Do you think there will be a lot of multiplayer games when 3G phones become popular.

Thanks,
    Brian

Super Contributor
    Do you think there will be a lot of multiplayer games when 3G phones become popular.
    I personally hope we won't have to wait until then. There are many games that can be implemented with the current technology.

shmoove

definitely mutliplayer, and I think the games will be much more sophisticated as mobile devices will replace mobile consoles like Gameboy (maybe not in two years). The NGage is a very good test case for that. But the question I ask myself is: will Java games survive or eventually replaced by C++? Sure, Java games will still be there, but in order to make use of the latest technology it might be necessary to program in C++.

Regular Contributor
    For developers, IMHO, it will be harder to fight on the place under the sun Like it is now for PC games.
    Games budgets will also rise...

About games: miltiplayer games will expand, no doubt. But considering battery live, simplicity of games (comparing with PC titles), limited amount of memory and so on, they won't go pretty far.

Dima
    GameArtists.com

Regular Contributor
    Yeah i think as the market matures it wont be as easy as it is now to compete as the big boys, they will get bigger and the phones will actually seen as a games platform by the users.

But i think a small team will still be able to compete.
    It is not as if the screen sizes will get much bigger there will always be those kind of constraints, Input will always be a bit(h.

Would be nice to see some standards come in though.

THats my 5cents worth !

Oh and Mulitplayer games will be come popular. Maybe kind of skirmish games that you can play for an hour or so while on a bus or just stuck somewhere board.

But i think a small team will still be able to compete.
    It is not as if the screen sizes will get much bigger there will always be those kind of constraints, Input will always be a bit(h.
    It will be harder, but mobile games won't probably be multimillion dollar projects, so there's always the chance to get in. And even in the PC market is space for independent developer.

Oh and Mulitplayer games will be come popular. Maybe kind of skirmish games that you can play for an hour or so while on a bus or just stuck somewhere board.
    Yeahh, that's something I'd like to see already now. Hopefully, Bluetooth will be supported by Java soon.

If it goes the same way as just about every other gaming platform then it will be eaten up by the large publisher. Smaller developers will be pushed out as they dont have a brand to tie their products to, or the money / reputation to buy into a brand. My advice is to make your millions now, so your in a position to compete

As for technology, I believe that phones will become much more powerful, such as JVM CPU's, 3D hardware acceleration and support for miniature memory cards. Other forms of input will also become standard, such as touch screen, mini-joysticks, roller balls, voice recognition; could get difficult playing an arcade game via voice though