Discussion Board

about RConnection

In several documents & discussion above mentioned the RConnection API, But I can not find any description for this API in the SDK.

So do any of you know where could I find it? or it is only supposed to be used by privileged users?

Thanks for your help - xwz

Regular Contributor
    RConnection is a new class in S60v2 7.0s SDK for connecting to the network. It's documented in the S60v2 7.0s SDK.

MTG101

Thanks for your prompt response, but can you tell me where to find the SDKs?

I have download the Series60 & Series90 SDK at Nokia's web page, and also searched "http://www.symbian.com/developer/techlib/v70docs/SDL_v7.0/doc_source/index.html".

I have found no information at this places.

Thanks again.

Regular Contributor
    The docs you're looking at on the Symbian site are for Symbian 7.0 - RConnection is added in 7.0s - yes... the 's' matters.

For the S60 v1 devices like the 7650, 3650, 3660, SX1 ( "sexy one" - geddit... ahh that German humour... you need to use the S60v1.2 Symbian 6.1 SDK. This sounds like the one you've already got. You can get it from http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,6566,034-4,00.html, and select the "V1.2, Nokia Edition (90MB)" version.

In S60 v1.2 you use the CIntConnectionInitiator class to make network connections. You use the class to bring up a connection, then any socket trying to connect will use that connection.

For S60v2 devices, like the 6600, you need the S60v2 Symbian 7.0s SDK. You get this from the same place as the S60v1.2 SDK (http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,6566,034-4,00.html), but select the "V2.0 (101MB)" (or one of the IDE based ones if you're using CBuilder or CodeWorrier) RConnection is documented in this SDK.

In S60v2, using RConnection, things work a little differently to CIntConnectionInitiator. You use RConnection to bring up a network connection, but then you must pass this RConnection to the socket when you do a connect (or open, can't remember which). If you just use RConnection to bring up a connection and then try to connect a socket without passing the the RConnection in, the socket will assume it needs its own new connection, and prompt the user to select a network to connect to.

The reason for this difference is that prior to 7.0s Symbian devices would only have one network connection up at a time. SymbianOS 7.0s adds 'multihoming' capabilities, ie you can have multiple network connections up at once.

As for that pasty of a S90 device... I don't even know what the device is meant to be or what is does. However, just find out which version of SymbianOS it's using, 6.1 means use CIntConnectionInitiator , 7.0s means use RConnection.

UIQ is 7.0 (no 's') based, and there's no helper class like CIntConnectionInitiator, so you have to revert to using RGenericAgent.

Cheers
    Russell