Discussion Board

large image solutions

Is this a WTK bug or oversight? I thought I could trust it when I set the heap memory limit to 150 kB and run my MIDP 1.0 application - there were no trouble, but it did not work in any emulator. Finally I checked that the large png image I use (600 X 500, but only 11.2 kB) is eager to consume 600 kB - and there was no trace of such needs while emulated thru WTK's devices! I guess that actual (color) phones try to render it as uncompressed 2-byte bitmap. Is it true, that png compression benefits are only for transmission and stroage purposes?! So is there any way to view it on a device with limited memory, maybe vendor's API could help? I am aware of Siemens limitations (16k per object). I could imagine viewing a set of smaller images instead of one big ( anyone seen maybe a piece of code capable of smooth viewing such a combined set as if they were large one <up, down, left, right> ) ?!!

Regular Contributor
    >Is this a WTK bug or oversight?
    It's a feature.

>Is it true, that png compression benefits are only for transmission and stroage purposes.
    It is true.

> So is there any way to view it on a device with limited memory, maybe vendor's API could help? I am aware of Siemens limitations (16k per object). I could imagine viewing a set of smaller images instead of one big.
    Yes, use a set of small images. Many phones allow you to load only images up to screen size, no more.

Dima
    GameArtists.com