Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Sever response to many clients

How to let a client (J2ME) send a request to server (Servlet) then the server (Servlet) send the response to all the clients (J2ME) or another client (J2ME) ???

Regular Contributor
    By MIDP 1.0 specification a server can not connect to the client. Cliet has to make a request and then server should send a response. That is it.
    I don't know, if it is possible to do in MIDP 2.0...

Dima
    GameArtists.com

Super Contributor
    A server can never connect to a client under any circumstances... this is really the definition of "server" and "client" (or at least, in a TCP/IP context).

If the phone can act as a server (that is, if it supports ServerSocket connections) then you should be able to do something... but not if the phone only supports HTTP or regular (client-side) sockets. In those cases, you're stuck with polling the server at intervals to see if there's new data.

Graham.

Regular Contributor
    You can do what you wish to do by putting the incoming request on a queue on the server and have all clients poll that server for new requests every X seconds. Do note that latency will be huge, but then, it's huge anyway with GPRS. This is the only way to implement 1-to-many requests using HTTP, which is a pull request protocol. There are tricks to keep connections open and such, but well, you'll have to figure those out yourselves, considering we're in the business of providing a multi-user/network SDK for mobile devices . Either way, latency is in the 2-5 second range at best, regardless of what you do if you use HTTP.

Remon van Vliet
    Ex Machina
    remon@exmachina.nl