Discussion Board

getAppProperty crash in Nokia 6600

Hi,

I am having problem calling getAppProperty with Nokia 6600. As a result, it icrash and return to the main menu. On the other hand, the getAppProperty functions work perfectly fine on Nokia 3100, 6610, 7210 and 3660.

Any idea?

Super Contributor
    I've never used a 6600, so this is just a guess. I find it hard to believe, and I've never heard before, of getAppProperty() crashing a MIDlet. My guess is that it is returning null, but you go ahead and do whatever you do with that null value and that's what's causing the crash. getAppProperty() reads the parameter from the jad. Maybe you are installing the MIDlet in a way that the jad doesn't go in there or something (sending the jar through Bluetooth, and not sending the jad for example). If I was you I would check into that.
    But I could be wrong since this is not from any practical experience.

shmoove

You are right about the NULL pointer. However, it is a requirement for me to call the getAppProperty(), which I can never expect it to return nothing.

I believe the problem is with the phone (Nokia 6600) because the problem was perfectly fine when tested with Nokia 3100, 6610, 7210 and 3660 (series 60).

I hope someone can test "getAppProperty()" with Nokia 6600 and tell me what he got.

Super Contributor
    However, it is a requirement for me to call the getAppProperty()
    You could implement it a little differently, like putting the property in a text file in the jar and reading it with getResourceAsStream(). A little more work but better than a bug.
    How are you deploying the MIDlet to the phone? Maybe there is something wrong with that and the jad doesn't transfer properly. Without the jad there won't be anything but nulls from getAppProperty().

shmoove

I actually created the jad in run-time, which contain some unique personal information that require the jar to read it from. Users are expected to access to my run-time created jad, which direct to my jar automatically (via MIDlet-URL etc).

The works perfectly fine with my other 4 phones (3x S40 and 1xS60). It just fail with 6600, which most probably because fail to execute getAppProperty() or return NULL pointer.

>like putting the property in a text file in the jar and reading it with getResourceAsStream().

What I actually need is some run-time generated data to be saved along with the midlet. I currently embeded them into jad. If jad fail in compability with 6600, I need to seek other way. You mention about reading text file. However, how do I run-time zip the file in jar? Any advise?

By the way, I do hope someone how has the Nokia 6600 do the testing to verify my problem. My firmware is V 3.42.1 16-10-03 NHL-10.

Any other ideas on the solutions will be appreaciated. Or will Nokia confirm and settle the little bugs in new firmware? If so, I will just ignore this issue and proceed with what I am doing with assumption that 6600 will be able to use this function soon.

I'm not sure I undestand about creating a .jad file during run time (I didn't think you could change that file once it was downloaded to the phone). Why don't you use the RecordStore to store and read your data?

Eric

OK sorry, I got it, you change the .jad before the midlet is downloaded and then refer to it once the application is running

Super Contributor
    If you create the jad at runtime you could certainly create a text file instead and package it with your app.
    However, how do I run-time zip the file in jar? Any advise?
    The same way you zip it usually (any command line zipping tool). Granted, it's a bit of a hassle, but if you have that jad-on-the-fly working properly, then you're not far away.

shmoove

Bluetooth install on 6600 : click JAD!

I was having a similar problem with the 6600 not finding JAD properties via getAppProperty.

When installing via bluetooth, be sure to click the jad. Unlike other Nokia phones, clicking the jar on the 6600 will not cause the jad to be read automatically. Instead it causes the jar to be installed "jad-less," so your properties will not be there.