Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

understanding series 30,40 vs. 60

I am trying to understand what the concept of a "series" means and how they differ. Its my understanding that "series" has something to do with a standard set of capabilities in the phone and the way the phone's user interface works. Nokia seems to sponsor the "series" standards. I also read about "UIQ" as another set of standards different from "series".

What is a series and briefly what is the difference between series 30,40 and 60 phones?

Also it seems that the concept of "series" is somehow linked to Symbian, or atleast series 60 is. I've read about series 60 and 90 as well as UIQ at Symbian.com. However it seems that only Nokia makes series 30 and 40 devices whereas some other companies make series 60. I did not find much information about series 30 and 40 at Symbian.com

Are Nokia series 30 and 40 also Symbian devices or are the two not related?

Thanks for any clarification on this issue.

Nokia Developer Moderator
    Hi

I think the nokia introduced the Series consept the make the things easier, so maybe withour them it would be even more puzzling.

Anyway Series 30 & 40 are not Symbian phones. AFAIK the series thing just specifies the screen size and the standart user interaction issues. I think the main idea of them was that with standard sized screen it's a lot easier to make Java MIDP apps that could work in multiple different devices.

Series 80 Would be symbian platform for communicators such as 9210, currently the OS version used there is 6.0. The screen size again is specified and it's 640x240, I think it's also specified that the screen is non-touch screen and that the device needs to implement full keyboard.

Series 90 is the new concept from which the Nokia 7700 will be the first phone. I think again there the screen side is always same among all Series 90 devices and that the device has touch screen and just some special input keys.

Series 60 is the Symbian pearl concept's implemented by Nokia, it basically specifies that the the device has to have two softkeys, joy-stick (4 or 8 ways) and standard mobile phone keypad with couple of special keys. and also that the screen is 176x208. Siemens, Sendo & Samsung at least have already licenced the platform.

yucca

Regular Contributor
    thanks, that helps quite a bit.

are other manufacturers making series 60 and 90 devices?

AFAIK currently Nokia is only licensing the Series 60 for other phone manufacturers.

So Series 80 & 90 is currently only made by Nokia, thou it's brilliant idea of licensing the platform, gets a a better attention from developers & benefits everybody else in the way, so maybe, just maybe they'll license the Series 90 out as well, but only time can answer that question.

yucca

Post Re: understanding series 30,40 vs. 60

Hi friends...

i have more doubts regarting series 30 ,series40,s60,s80,s90

one friend said in nokia above s60 hav joy-stick.But 6600,6630 dont have?

some one says "then using screen size they make difference ........"

n73 is 240x320 pix... it too s60
    n70 is 176x208 pix... it too 260

so how can we differenciate by pixels....

considering user interface...
    like above 6600 and n73 UI r entirely different .

so plz any one tell me clear details about wat is mean by nokia "series"....

is it by symbian Os version????

im waiting for Nokia Forum members reply!!!!!!!

Super Contributor

Re: understanding series 30,40 vs. 60

At the time of Original post [3 years back], the Pixels are the only way to differentiate between the Series but ...

Now it is bit confusing...

Actually Yucca's reply is still valid.
    So xx in Sxx has nothing to do with the Symbian version, since S30 and S40 is not Symbian.
    S30: I do not know, never heard about it. I guess closed platform, proprietary OS, extinct
    S40: this is the platform of current mass-market Nokia devices. Proprietary OS, but always supports running of 3rd-party Java (MIDP) applications. Of course JavaME has its limitations
    S60: this is the current Nokia smartphone platform. Symbian OS (starting with 6.1, Nokia 7650, now it is 9.2, Nokia N95). As Yucca said, S60 was following the Pearl reference design, but it is changing now (for example the new communicator - E90 - is an S60 device). Main API-s are C++ and Java (MIDP), however there are many others (like Python or FlashLite)
    S80: the extinct communicator platform (Nokia 9500, 9300 and 9300i). Symbian OS 7.0s, C++ and Java (MIDP) API for 3rd-party developers
    S90: the extinct touchscreen device (Nokia 7710). Symbian OS 7.0s, C++ and Java API

S30 are old phones, with 96x65 screen.
    My first phone WAP-enabled was actually one, the Nokia 3530 (that's what my nickname derivates from).
    Some features are GPRS, WAP 1.0, MMS messages (up to 30kB), support to java applications (MIDP1.0, CLDC1.0, up to 64kB), internal memory of 1MB approx. (if remember well), color images supported (JPG, PNG, BMP and GIF), MID playback (up to 4 simultaneous channels).

best regards
    Http_user_agent:
    NokiaN80-1/3.0 (4.0707.0.7)
    Series60/3.0
    Profile/MIDP-2.0
    Configuration/CLDC-1.1

Quote Originally Posted by alb3530 View Post
    S30 are old phones, with 96x65 screen.
    My first phone WAP-enabled was actually one, the Nokia 3530 (that's what my nickname derivates from).
    Some features are GPRS, WAP 1.0, MMS messages (up to 30kB), support to java applications (MIDP1.0, CLDC1.0, up to 64kB), internal memory of 1MB approx. (if remember well), color images supported (JPG, PNG, BMP and GIF), MID playback (up to 4 simultaneous channels).

best regards

But, someone call again series 30 the entry level device!

I think is only Nokia OS, but for example the new 1661, on internet news, frequently read "Series 30"

I like to know if real or only mistake!

I think Series 30 is still called series 30, and there were at least one cheap model that was just introduced for it.

anyway, it is good to check what the news are saying, yesterday I saw at one news site that nokia has, Symbian OS with their Series 40 devices that are sliing around 75 Dollars. That is of course completely incorrect, since the devices do not have any Symbian OS, but some nokia own OS.