Discussion Board

MMSC configuration for Filter Application

I understand that I can configure the MMSC to send messages to a particular MSISDN to a filter application.

Is it possible to configure the MMSC to send all messages *to* or *from* a list of MSISDNs to the filter app.

In addition can the list be added to dynamically in real time.

For example for some users I want to add an logo to all messages being sent or received by that user.

Regular Contributor
    Are you talking about the Nokia MMSC? Because functionality may vary with different vendor MMSCs.

With the Nokia MMSCs, Yes... Is it possible to configure the MMSC to send all messages *to* a list of MSISDNs to the filter app. *from* MSISDNs... I think is do-able, but I've never done that before, let me investigate.

Can the list be added to dynamically?
    Hmm... *probably not*, that would be tricky. It is not a standard feature anyway.

Your example is possible for all messages being sent *to* the specified user. Infact, the MMSC has a feature like this for legacy phone support... to modify messages to phones which may not support MMS.

~quyen / Forum Nokia

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes it's the Nokia MMSC.

What I want is to be able to add subscribers to a service which requires their MMSs to be filtered.

There could be 10,000 or more subscribers added to this service.

Can I add numbers of this order so that messages to that number will be filtered.

If I can't do it dynamically is it possible to restart the MMSC once a day, for example, to update the list?

Thanks for your help.

Regular Contributor
    Hello again

In the message routing rules file for Application Interface, there are parameters such as "RECIPIENT ADDRESS" and "SENDER ADDRESS" which can be used to route to an application. See the configuration files guide for your MMSC.

You can modify this file from the MMSC GUI or manually editing the file. So, I see no reason why you would not beable to create a script to continually update this file with new MSISDN. But, yes, the MMSC must be reinitialised for the new rules to take affect. So, I suppose you could restart your MMSC each day, but that would not be ideal.

I am waiting for a response from another support team. So, I will update you later if they come back to me with any information.

Some creative alternatives if you are doing this for phone interoperability:

The MMSC does have a "legacy phone" feature where the MMS recipient is checked to ensure they have an MMS-enabled mobile phone. But, this is usually done by querying for the profile from an external subscriber profile database to determine the traits of the recipient mobile phone. And, the MMS message can be routed to a filtering application based on this information. There is a section on "Querying the Profile from the subscriber database" and "Routing messages to legacy phone support" in the MMSC 2.1's "Message Handling" Guide. The database can be a Nokia Profile Server or an LDAP directory.

The "Content Adaptation" document describes how to use the MMSC 2.1's functionality to automatically convert/adapt content delivered in MMS messages (such as converting all GIF to JPG).

Maybe you can check over these things to see if they would be helpful to you. I have never used them before.

How is it that you have a Nokia MMSC, but no support agreement?
    If you need more personalised support, you can also look into our "Professional Support" service at http://www.forum.nokia.com/support

Best of luck on your effort!

~quyen / Forum Nokia

Thaks very much for your help - I am currently investigating diferent features for a technical analyisis I am doing.