Discussion Board

Making Money Out Of A Game

hey, how can i make money if i have a game???

its not just for me but for everyone here.

please state your experience, or say whatever that will answer the question.

Regular Contributor
    Since you are already at this site, might as well look at the Nokia Tradepoint. I have not experience with it, but you may find some useful information: http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,6566,00_28,00.html
    Good Luck!

guyz...

i want advice on how to deal with game publishers..
    like what should be a good deal for me as a developer??

should i give them the source code?? or the game only??

how much should i take??

game deal

check out websites - search for "java games" or something. big/good sites will normally have a developer link with contact info. shitty sites handling mostly ring tones won't. i suggest contacting them via email and then following up with a phone call. some sites have a form to fill in rather than an email link.

write up something about the game. pdf is best, word doc totally fine though. don't write a novel. jus put something about the game, what buttons to press, what models the game is aimed at, that kinda thing. don't forget to put your contact details and copyright info on the doc aswell.

never send your source. only send the jad/jar files, and obfuscate them first. i use proguard but there are other packages such as retroguard and jode (i think). obfuscating isn't just to make it hard to read, it makes the jar smaller and some phones have strict jar size limitations.

also, some gateways can't reliably handle files over 64k. take the nokia shop for example. looks great, worldwide distribution, 65% of the money goes to you, they handle vat and promote your game and, to top it off, series 60 phones should have a jar size under 64k. hold on, that last point isn't cool at all. its v Uncool.

deals depend on the company. most people offer a split on net receipts, e.g. 50/50. net receipts means they take out taxes and operator costs and stuff first. other companies may offer a flat cost per successful download.

non exclusive deals are cool - you can blat the game out to loads of companies and get money from all of them, each with a separate agreement.

a lot of companies are wholesalers: jus cos the game is sold somewhere for 5 quid doesn't mean you are gonna get loads of cash. the company might only get, say, a pound net per download so the split is based on that.

get a solicitor to check the contract out first. no lie, people will rip you off. for example, paying 50/50 on net euro receipts sounds good right? it is until the company you are dealing with gets paid in US dollars from the states in which case they don't have to pay you a penny because that ain't euros. if you think your game is cool and is gonna make money, spend some on a half-decent solicitor. if you act like an amateur you'll get treated like a bitch.

don't forget that to sell your game you need images. screen shots, a title screen, a preview image, combinations there-of depending on who you are dealing with. sizes depend on who you are dealing with. some companies don't care, others might need a preview image of, say, 80 wide by 100 high and then a screen shot gif which could animate if you want.

if you can, knock up a little website. most companies are cool with having a link to your site from theirs so people can find out more about the product. you can throw some more screen shots on there and some blurb about the game, do the site how you want with logos and shit. don't go overboard: no red-brick backgrounds. having said that, our site is a bit mad. go crazy.

unless your game is da bomb you should prepare yourself for lots of inactivity. most companies have great web sites but rarely have the courtesy to call you back or tell you when they might get round to looking at your product were it not for their laziness taking priority.

dunno if thats gonna help you - best of luck.

thanks a lot..

i have a good game, can u suggest a company whom i can trust??
    and also make a decent income..

"decent income" depends on your product and who you are dealing with.

you really should hit the web, check out sites and see which ones have a contact for developers. i dug around and found people like http://www.wirelessgames.com/ , http://www.microdevelopernetwork.com/ and http://www.zgroup-mobile.com/ .they have developer, publisher or distribution pages - maybe they will lead to things for you?

spend some time looking for good game sites and follow up any developer-stylee links.

Regular Contributor
    Here is another suggestion:

Give the game away for free to some people for test runs. Have them judge the game and maybe include, on your web site, what your beta testers think of the game.

I would never buy a game that has had no review. And I know a lot of people are the same.