Discussion Board

Advice on buying a development phone.

Hi, it's time for me to buy a cellphone for development purposes.
    I'm looking for a phone which will allow me to program the following,
    - SMS (including ringtones, logos, internationalized character sets)
    - MMS
    - J2ME
    - datacable (always a pain to get hold of) - is there a better way ?
    - GPRS (even though GPRS service is not available where I am yet, I figure it's best to buy a phone that supports it now)

Does anybody have any recommendations, or should I wait until
    better phones come out ? I was using a 7110 for SMS development
    and that was buggy as hell.

Bonus points if the phone can also be used for imode development
    (ie. support chtml) and i-applis (the imode equivalent of J2ME)
    but I doubt any of the Nokia phones available in Europe do this.

RE: Advice on buying a development phone.

I have the Nokia 6310i. It can do most of that except MMS. The 7210 seems to be able to do all of which you ask for.

The 6310i is compatible with the data cable accressory (article DLR-3P). It is a RS-232 serial cable. But as an alternative, you can use WAP to download your applications to the phone. The cable works fine though.

/J

Regular Contributor

Hi,
    The 7210 would be the phone which would enable you to develop MMS applications, ringtones and other fancy stuff and also have java applicaiton in color with Nokia UI available.
    This phone will be coming to market soon. However if you are taking one step at a time it may be worth developing applicaitons for 6310i and gradually expanding the horizon to other phones as and when they are market. The 7650 is another phone with series 60. This may motivate you to develop a host of applicaitons because this has Symbian OS on it and also a camera.
    There are whole array of devices and Nokia would be looking for applications for all those devices. Please visit forum Nokia to take a look at the tools available and also the opportunities.

regards,
    Sudnyesh

If you want to use your mobile phone as a modem, make sure you check the specs for the GPRS modem AND make sure the carrier you will be using supports that feature.

When I had a 6210, I used that as a modem for a laptop. With High Speed Circuit Switched Data (HSCSD) I got 28.8 kbps with my carrier. Most acceptable compared to the normal 9.6 kbps.

I don't know how GPRS modems compare to HSCSD. Make sure you do a full comparison study. And I don't think the 7210 can do HSCSD... but maybe you won't need to since it does GPRS.

Oh... one more thing: Use a serial cable or Bluetooth for the connection between your computer and the phone. Using IR is much too difficult. And also some operating systems (like Windows 2000) don't support serial connections over the IR port which makes it difficult to use the IR connection for modem purposes.

/Michael

Stephen,

I'm using a 6310i as well and it works fine for all of the development I've done so far (connecting to the irDA, Sms, J2EE, using AT hayes commands, etc). Let me know if you want me to test something.

I was wondering if you could help me out: I made a Java application that sends and receives SMS using standard AT hayes commands. This works fine for the 6310i, but not at all for the 7110. As you have development experience with the 7110, could you share some of your experience with me?

Thanks,
    Johan