Discussion Board

Super Contributor

any api supplied by Symbian to use in midlet ?

Hi ,i am a beginner ,I have a big question and thanks in advance :)
    as i know now ,the j2me platform and Symbian platform has no relations ,although they are in the same phone.
    isn't it?
    for example ,if i write a email client in java ,I can not get the infomation from the phone's address book ,no api to access it . i think it is a bad thing .

Posted by Henry Lee, yyh21m@hotmail.com
    on April 30, 2002 at 12:21

Regular Contributor
    Java is a feature built on Symbian OS. Java is very restricted and cannot access phonebook information and many other important information that native code could access. In Personal Java (9200 series communicators) there may be some ways around this, but you should ask about it on Java Discussion areas.

Eero Tunkelo
    Developer Support
    Forum Nokia
    Last edited by etunkelo; 2003-04-07 at 18:01.

but why have for example the application "Oxygen Phone Manager" access to the phone book (read/write)?

how is this possible?

gicio

Regular Contributor
    I'm not familiar with this application, but theoretically speaking, you could build a HTTP server with C++ and contact that locally with your Java application. This may be what they are doing.

If you can do this, your server can respond to your Java application's requests and perform it in native c++ code.

Eero
    Forum Nokia