Discussion Board

SP midi converter

What kind of software do I use to make SP midi files work on all Nokia phones?

Super Contributor
    Hi,

You can use Nokia Sound Converter which comes with the PC-Suite delivered with your phone.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

Will it allow me to convert MIDI files to SP-Midi and is it downloadable from the developer site ?

thanks

Super Contributor
    Hi,

Will it allow me to convert MIDI files to SP-Midi?
    Yes.

Is it downloadable from the developer site?
    It's available in Nokia.com under "Support" section.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

Regular Contributor

what is the diff between midi and spmidi?

what is the difference between sp midi and mid file?

thank you
    slimpixi

Sound Converter

Yes the Sound Converter is exactly what I need but it no longer seems to be available - only the tutorial for it which describes in great detail what it will do.

I can find no links for the software itself - would someone know where I could find it if it's still available ?

thanks

Creating SP-Midi Files

I think the Nokia Audio Suite is the only tool available, its in the tools and SDK's, but you need Cubase SX to use it.

J
    Last edited by bobnsam; 2004-02-12 at 10:24.

Cubase

But the Cubase SX is 799 euros and is overkill for making ringtones.

Surely Nokia doesn't expect that only those making music using professional sequencers will use Audio Suite. ???

It seems that some lower level phones still have a sound converter in their PC Suite but the higher level ones do not. The 24 level polyphonic phones like the 3300 do not have the Sound Converter in their PC Suite.

The reason I want to convert midi files to SP-midi is that I understand it is Nokia's preferred format and that it is covered by DRM while regular MIDI is not.

Would someone tell me if this is correct or can anything sent by MMS be prevented from retransmission ?

Regular Contributor
    the only difference between a standard MIDI file and a sp-midi compliant MIDI file is a special message, called a MIP table (Maximum instantaneous polyphony, that tells the device how to allocate voices per MIDI channel. The MIP table is a special kind of system exclusive message.

There is no "conversion" between MIDI and SP-MIDI, because sp-midi is an enhancement of the regular standard midi file spec. It is just a MIDI file with this extra system exclusive message.

You can add the MIP table as a sys ex message using any MIDI sequencer supporting sys ex editing.

You may not even need make your MIDI file SP-MIDI compliant if the targeted devices have enough built in polyphony to play the MIDI file. A sp-midi compliant device is no different than a regular MIDI device except that it understands the rules you set up in the MIP table to control how a song plays in limited polyphony devices.

Also, you usually dont just add a MIP table to an existing MIDI file and get the desired result. The whole point of sp-midi is "scalable polyphony" which means that a 24 voice song could be composed to sound good when a device can only play 4 voices maximum.

The MIDI file should be composed from the beginning with scalable voice allocation in mind. Adding the MIP table may help some for situations where a device does not have enough polyphony to play all parts of the MIDI song, but there are other aspects to a MIDI file that can cause unwanted voice drop outs, such as unintended note overlaps, use of certain mid controlers like sustain pedal, and even certain sounds that have long release times.

If your MIDI file is repleat with these last 3 issues, then the MIP table may not help much to ensure proper playback on polyphony limited devices.

Anycase, here is a list of Ringtone authoring tools including some for SP-MIDI authoring:
    http://sonify.org/cgi-bin/tutoriallinks/jump.cgi?ID=221

Hi,

Nokia Pc suit: Sound Convert can be use with some Nokia s40.

Some Nokia s40 phone as Nokia 3300 3100 can not use Sound Convert that maybe these phone do not have interface to use Nokia PC Suit.

Everyone can download Sound Convert. It is include in Nokia PC Suit. It can adjust CHORD(or some what.....I do not understand midi file) to suitable Nokia phone.