Discussion Board

Server driven and peer to peer

I'm doing a multiplayer game connect-4( for two player only) through gprs

1) Is it a server driven game or peer to peer?It is jz for 2 player only.So., it is peer to peer game?

2) If i run a server driven game via GPRS, is that i still can get a phone call?How about for peer to peer game also?

Regular Contributor
    1) Is it a server driven game or peer to peer?
    Peer to peer or client-server is not about how many devices you have connected, but how this connection is made.

In client-server situation, the connection is made by each client through a server. With peer to peer the nodes are connected directly to one another.

I don't have any peer2peer experience, but have a feeling that this is barely supported in MIDP 1.0. I believe MIDP 2.0 has better support for that. So check your target device capabilites.

Chances are you may have to settle for client-server (HTTP) connection for now since it's the only one universally supported by mobile java, but don't take my word for it.

2) If i run a server driven game via GPRS
    My guess is all java application operations yield to the phone's built in functions (such as receiving a phone call).

Hope this clears things up a bit for you.

2) If i run a server driven game via GPRS, is that i still can get a phone call?How about for peer to peer game also?

when you have a incoming call,the midlet will enter the Paused state so that the method pauseApp() will be used.
    when the call is over,the midlet will enter the Active state so that the method pauseApp() will be used.