Discussion Board

Keeping a dial-up connection alive

Hi,

We have a J2ME app that performs searches on a database. Unfortunately, while you're looking at one set of results the dial-up connection gets dropped automatically and then when the next page is requested the whole process starts again.

Is there any way of keeping a dial-up connection open while the app is running without just polling a spare url in the background?

Thanks,

Alex.

Super Contributor
    On my phone, the connection stays open if you don't close the HttpConnection objects properly. You could take advantage of this, but I don't know how reliable it would be.

If you never close the connections, you will eventually run out.

If your phone has such an option, you may be able to change the connection mode from "as needed" to "permanent"?

Graham.

Graham,

Thanks, that has fixed my problem. I was opening a connection in the background to attempt to keep the dial-in alive, but never making the transition to "connected".

The change I have made is instead of calling conn.close() when i've finished with a connection, i wait until i'm opening the next one, and then close the previous one it first.

Many thanks,

Alex.