Discussion Board

Platform dependant coding

I am a Master's student doing research on Symbian OS and related stuff. I am currently trying to develop applications for Symbian OS. I am using Series 60 SDK 1.2 for Symbian OS. For IDE, I am using Metrowerks CodeWarrior for Symbian OS, Personal Edition, 2.5.

I went through example applications and I didnt have too much problem with them. However, I am interested in writing hardware specific applications, like device drivers. Here is a quote from one of the articles in the Symbian official site.

"Only the final development stages focus on the target hardware. The only exception to this rule is for low level programming, where target hardware must be directly accessed, such as programming for a physical device driver"

But it doesnt explain what needs to be done for such harware-specific programming. Can someone help me out here?

Thanx in advance,
    Vasanth

Regular Contributor

Platform dependant coding

Hey,

As far as I know writing device drivers is not possible using the public version of the SDK. Only Symbian partners get the special SDK that is reportedly required to develop devices drivers and such. However developing plugins for Comserver and ETEL probably is possible since I have found some example code for a Comm Server plugin (CSY) however it is completely undocumented. The SDK states thst no odcumentation will be provided since it is not expected that people would be developing these using the public version of the SDK.

Regards, Aljaz

Thanks

I suppose I will have to look into other means then. Thanx for the info.

Vas