Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

VC6 and symbian SDK

Hi,
    I have installed VC 6 and SDK 1.2.

I have followed the instructions in the document Developer Platform 2.0 for Series 60: Getting Started with C++ Application
    Development

The problem is that when i create a new project using the Series60 App wizard, I'm going through all stages I'm getting the following message "C:\epoc32\build\MyApplication\group\MyApplication\wins\MyApplication.dsw the specified project could not be inserted into the current workspace"

workspace problem

Hi,
    I searched the whole net now, found severeal sites where this problem was mentioned, but nobody had an answer to it, yet.

I tried it on an Windows XP and it worked. My student tried in on 2000, but it doesn't work, just as you described. He installed and deinstalled VC++ and the sdk several times, but still it shows the same problem.

Please inform me, too, if you find a solution.

Best regards,
    Sathie

Regular Contributor
    Hi Sathie,
    Thanks for the efforts.
    I just saw that Nokia claims that this SDK was not fully tested on Windows2000, so that may explain the problem.

However, if I manage to solve this out I'll let you know.

BR,
    Ziv

solution

Hi Ziv,

I am pleased to say, that we found the solution for our problem. The paths for VC++ were not set properly. Here are all environment variable I have set now: (surely you have to adjust them to your machine)

include:
    C:\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\atl\include;C:\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\mfc\include;C:\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\include

lib:
    C:\Program\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\mfc\lib;C:\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\lib

MSDevDir:
    C:\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98

path:
    C:\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools\WinNT;C:\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin;C:\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools;C:\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\bin;

I hope, it is a little help.

BR,
    Sathie

Regular Contributor
    Hello Sathie,

Thanks a lot for your response.

These variables were already set in my machine, so I guess this is not the problem.

Please let me know in case you think of something else.

BR,
    Ziv

Hi zivgr,

I've had the same problem you described...

After a while, i noticed that Perl was not instalkled on my machine...
    You can test if your installation is ok running from a DOS prompt
    "abld build wins udeb" in a sample project directory...

After installing Perl, Visual Studio starded to create Series60 workspaces.

Good Luck !

Domenico Loschiavo

Regular Contributor
    Sorry for the question but should I just wirte the string "abld build wins udeb" in a dos prompt?

Regular Contributor

VC6 and symbian SDK

Hey,

Yeah you should go to the group subdirectory of you generated project and type in at Dos prompt: abld build wins udeb (you may need to type bldmake bldfiles first) and if you dont have perl the script will complain.

Regards, Aljaz

I've got this problem and my solution is :

- Install Perl
    - Install JRE
    - Install SDK
    - Copy AppWizard
    - Make new project from VS6. Your new project folder must in the same drive letter with your SDK installation directory.
    - And it works !!!!!

Hope this can help

I've also been having problems and have asked this question elsewhere. I've followed all these fixes but still cannot get VC6 to open a workspace.

abld build wins udeb does not work, it generates an unknown command error

as does bldmake bldfiles

perl is installed, I've reinstalled it twice but this does not solve the problem

I'm running Windows 2000 and realise that it has not been fully tested but has anyone else managed to fix this problem?

Regular Contributor

VC6 and symbian SDK

Hey,

That's strange.....Do you have EPOCROOT enivronment variable set to your Symbian directory?

Regards, Aljaz

hmmm actually I don't seem to have EPOCROOT set at all, should that not have been done when it installed itself? How do I set it?

Brian

Regular Contributor

VC6 and symbian SDK

Hey,

This is your problem then. It should be set up automatically but looks like in your case it wasn't. You need to go to Control Panel\System\Advanced and at the bottom right you will find a button named "Envirnment variables". Click it and a window will open that allows you to set environment variables. Now click the New button under the listbox titled "System Variables" and enter EPOCROOT as Varaible Name and the path to your Symbian SDK as Variable value. Now your EPOCROOT variable should be set up properly.

Regards, Aljaz

ok I just set it to, Symbian, and that did not solve it, I'm guessing it needs to go to one of the sub dirs, do you know which?

c:\symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\???

Brian

I just tried setting it to c:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\epoc32

then tried to start a project called Friday2 located at c:\

I got the following error at the point of setting up the workspace

C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\epoc32\build\friday2\group\friday2\wins\friday2.dsw
    The specified project could not be inserted into the current workspace

very odd?