Discussion Board

SMS Problem on 3650

Hello,
    İ have a sms problem with my 3650...Even if i type a 1 sentence long sms,my phone tells me that the sms has "Foreign Charecters" and it has to be sent in 3 pieces...or any number that my phone likes to
    Anyone out there to save me from this??!?

Regular Contributor
    And does the message contain "foreign characters"?

Give us a sample sentence that causes you to get that "error message". If you type in "Hello World!" do you get it?

Let us see an example...

-paul / ForumNokia

SMS Problem on 3650

Well...dont remember now and dont have the phone with me now.
    İts at the tech-service.İve asked them,they didnt have the answer.
    But i can tell you that,i have tried many different sentences long,short,without punctuation and with it...English,turkish,french...5 times out of 10;problem occurs.

Thanks for the attention.

Here's a very simple description of how characters are handled in SMS you send.

You can send 160 characters in an SMS, assuming you send certain characters from this chart: http://www.dreamfabric.com/sms/default_alphabet.html

By certain I mean the characters *not* starting with 0x1B in the left column of that chart. Such characters will instead take two characters when sent in an SMS.

So:
    - If you for instance send an SMS with only 'a' in it, you can send 160 characters.
    - If you send an SMS with only vertical bars in it, you can send 80 characters.

If you mix such characters, you can figure out yourself how many characters will get place in one SMS.

Then we have the case that you send characters *not* in this chart. Then you can send 70 characters in one SMS.

A bit more technically, you can send 140 bytes in an SMS. A phone tries to send 7-bit characters, which mean you can get room for 160 characters (140*8/7). Some of the 7-bit characters needs to be escaped, as you can see in the link above. If you have one or more characters in the SMS, that is not part of this chart, the entire SMS must be sent in unicode. Then 70 characters can be sent, since each character will take two octets. In theory, you could send 8bit SMS, but I'm not sure your phone does that.