Discussion Board

Debug on Series 60 target using Bluetooth

Several sites around the web and the Borland C++BuilderX documentation leads one to believe that it is in fact possible to debug on a Series 60 device, and not only that, but it's possible over Bluetooth. The document "Debugging Developer Platform for Series 60 Software with Borland C++BuilderX" states clearly that you can debug over Bluetooth on Series 60 phones. According to that document BuilderX just uses gdbstub.exe to handle it's debugging, which comes with the Series 60 SDK.

I've installed gdbstub.sis on my phone, but apparently it requires a gdbstub.ini file. How do you configure this file so that it uses the Bluetooth serial connection?

I'm absolutely desperate to debug my app on the phone itself... Please help!

Here's how to set it up for IR:

http://www.newlc.com/article.php3?id_article=168

Now after installing the gdbstub.sis, here's the differences for on-target debugging over Bluetooth:

1. c:\gdbtub\gdbstub.ini should look like this:

[COMMSERV]
    PDD=EUART%d
    LDD=ECOMM
    CSY=BTCOMM
    PORT=0
    RATE=9600
    2. Pair the device and the PC. Connect the Bluetooth serial port from the PC side.

Now follow the instructions in the newlc.com article. In "target epoc com2" part, replace com2 with your Bluetooth serial port.

Lauri

Regular Contributor
    @ laa-laa
    Did you really get Bluetooth debugging to work? On my 3650 I just get a "GDBSTUB 5" Panic message from Gdbstub with your ini file settings.
    Infrared debugging is working though.

My N-Gage does one of three things when I execute gdbstub.exe with these INI file settings... It either immediately reboots, locks up (I can only reboot it by removing the battery), or it exits with an error.

When it reboots it doesn't write anything meaningful to the log file, it just says it read the cfg file.

When it exits with the error it writes in the log file "error 6, epoc error code -21". -21 is access denied, correct?

Of course, I've never seen any S60 device debug "correctly" so locking up or rebooting might be the correct behavior. What should I see in gdb when communication is working correctly?

Stabbing in the dark once again I purchased a second bluetooth adapter for my PC hoping this might resolve the issue. Previously I had an Asante Bluetooth adapter, now I have a D-Link DBT-120 (rev B3) adapter. No improvement in the situation...

I still get the same old error "error 6, epoc error -21" in the gdbstub.log file.

It's been a while since I last did this... and now I don't have access to hardware to redo it.

Anyway, error -21 is KErrAccessDenied. rudescotsman, did you pair the devices from the phone side? (Bluetooth->New paired device->Set as authorized)

Lauri

Yes the devices can be paired and I can transfer files back and forth, install programs, etc. The N-Gage is set up to always authorize the host system.

I start first by disabling the PC Suite software so it doesnt take over the COM port. Then I reboot the N-Gage and establish the bluetooth serial port. Next I run gdbstub.exe, and that's when I get the -21 error. If I run gdbstub.exe again it just freezes the phone.

?
    Last edited by rudescotsman; 2004-02-26 at 10:19.

I am trying to do this on N3650 as it goes all white when starting gdbstub.exe program.

It however works ok with IRDA.