Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

free midlet testing ?

I have recently completed my first j2me game and before I try and sell it, I want to test it on a wide range of phones.

I am aware I can pay for this, but until I have sold my first game I don't really have the funds to do this (I am currently living on my rapidly deminishing savings).

So, basically, what are my options for getting some free testing ?

I am not looking for really thougher testing at the
    moment, just that it boots, sound is ok, and graphics
    are not obviously broken, etc. Also that you cannot
    crash it with button mashing etc.

I have a wap site setup, that will detect your phone, and serve you the version that your phone needs (nokia only currently, I plan to support the other phones with later games, but you know, one thing at a time).

Would posting a link here, and asking people to have a go, be totally out of order ?

What else can I do ?

ps - I cannot afford to buy one of each phone

Any help gratefully received.

Alex

Super Contributor
    Would posting a link here, and asking people to have a go, be totally out of order ?
    I don't think so...
    Worst case scenario - the post get's ignored by everyone (and I really doubt that will happen).

shmoove

Regular Contributor
    I had this problem too. It is not easy.
    I post forums in my country to find people willing to test. I had no money, I offer full dedicated versions for testing. There were very few testers and the "test report" really poor if I even get it.
    I recommend to post your ask in a non-developer mobile forum, and make dedicated version for each tester (with name and e-mail at least), that will prevent from hacking and they feel more important themself.

Adding my 5 cents to discussion

I would advice having a feedback form on a web-page somewhere. There you can ask people for what they liked most, what least, what bugs found, etc.

Simple examples:
    1) About a month ago some guy asked to answer some questions about mobile development and had a questions form on the web, I helped him, it's not difficult and nice to help somebody.. if it's not difficult

2) Couple of weeks ago some guy wanted people to comment on his dissertation... some 30-50 pages of pdf text, and you'll have to write e-mail and he wanted some quality feedback.. I doubt that he had a single answer

Resume:
    Try keeping questionary simple and easy. Ask concrete questions, simple to answer while people can enjoy playing almost release version. This might help

P.S.
    Also post the result on this forum, for ithers to reuse your experience

Regular Contributor

Now looking for testers:

Last edited by alex_crowther; 2004-03-18 at 17:12.