Discussion Board

MIDlet Deployment problems on Nokia 6600

Hi

I have just purchased a Nokia 6600. I have written a few midlets that work fine with the wireless tool kit from sun and on the Nokia Dev kit 2.0 emulators.

Im trying to deploy these midlets onto my Nokia 6600. The demo apps that came with the tool kit do install fine.

However, when I try and install a simple midlet (helloworld - start small) I get a "Install denied by Java server"!

Why? and more importantly how do I fix this so that my MIDlets will install!!??? I am using the PC suite that came with my phone

Thank you
    Lambert

PS once connected via the PC suite, whats the best way to disconnect??

What do you think of the 6600

Hi,
    I'm thinking of getting a 6600 just to learn J2ME development.
    What do you think of the 6600?

Thanks for any advice.
    cheers
    linz

I think Nokia should try a bit harder to understand why standards exist.
    Sometime it seems that Nokia should just let go of the Java ideas. I have only used the 6600, but it has a lot of lacking support of updating Displayables, when returning to them..
    Funny, this works fine on a SE P900.. But nevertheless, the 6600 is Nokias FIRST REAL Java supporting phone, so it's a good start.
    If I where to buy one, I would use my money on a newer Nokia, or the P900.

Developing on N6600

I dont know too much about the P900 in terms of development and deployment. I was caught between getting the N6600 and the SE P900. As these are the only phones that have the Java API's for Bluetooth at the moment.

I plumped for the N6600 simply because it cheaper, and the emulators Ive been using are for the nokia, so I wanted to reduce the possible errors I might get for transferring and deploying.

If you simply want to develop J2ME apps, then there are cheaper alternatives - look at what specs are supported (CLDC 1.1 and MIDP 2.0).

As for deploying midlets I have had a little trouble but thats becase of ajar file I need to compile the midlets in the first place because Im using the Java API's for bluetooth. But otherwise it very simple!!

Hope this helps
    Lambert