Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Does 3510 support midi or just sp-midi files

Hello, I have a couple of questions. First is the subject of this post.. Does nokia 3510 support midi or only sp-midi files?

I've read the Introduction to midi but it doesn't say much about what is supported. So here are my questions:

1. Is note velocity supported?

2. Which controllers are supported? (i.e. volume, modulation, expression, pitch bend, etc.)

3. Since the 3510 supports 4 simultaneous notes, does this mean it can play 4 simultaneous notes in one channel or is it just one note per channel?

4. What is the note range for each channel?

5. What tempo range is supported?

6. Is tempo change in the middle of the song allowed?

7. Is patch or instrument change in the middle of song supported?

8. For downloading from a wap site, is there a special code needed to let the phone download or you simply just need a link or anchor to the midi file and the phone would download automatically?

9. And lastly for now, are there any other sp-midi editors out there besides Beatnik?

Thank you so much. Hoping for a prompt reply.

R.S.

RE: Does 3510 support midi or just sp-midi files

how come nobody's replying to my question?

Super Contributor

Hi,

I don't have answer to all of your question yet, but I'm still looking for. Here's some already...

> Does nokia 3510 support midi or only sp-midi files?

Both.

> 2. Which controllers are supported? (i.e. volume, modulation, expression, pitch bend, etc.)

These can be found from SP-MIDI specification. At least those you listed are included.

> 8. For downloading from a wap site, is there a special code needed to let the phone download or you simply just need a link or anchor to the midi file and the phone would download automatically?

It is recommended to use Content Download for the MIDI content in 3510. You can find the info about it from http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,35452,1_3_1,00.html.

I'll get back to this when I got the rest of the info.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

The questions I know the answers to are:

> Does nokia 3510 support midi or only sp-midi files?

It supports Midi files too. I've successfully transferred a number of plain Midi files to my 3510.

> 6. Is tempo change in the middle of the song allowed?

Yes it is.

> 8. For downloading from a wap site, is there a special code needed to let the phone download or you simply just need a link or anchor to the midi file and the phone would download automatically?

Using .cod files is almost certainly the better way to do this (it looks more professional and gives more control over delivery), but just using an anchor tag to link to a .mid file works fine (I eventually discovered).

> 9. And lastly for now, are there any other sp-midi editors out there besides Beatnik?

No idea about SP-Midi in particular, but for plain General Midi files I've been using the (freeware) ModPlugTracker. It's not ideal (as it's not really written as a Midi file generator) but it's quite workable and I'm pleased with the results I have so far. ModPlug Tracker can be downloaded from www.modplug.com.

Sorry I can't help with the others,

Adam.

>Hello, I have a couple of questions. First is the subject of this >post.. Does nokia 3510 support midi or only sp-midi files?

Both

I've read the Introduction to midi but it doesn't say much about what is supported. So here are my questions:

>1. Is note velocity supported?

As far as can tell yes

>2. Which controllers are supported? (i.e. volume, modulation, >expression, pitch bend, etc.)

All of them mentioned

>3. Since the 3510 supports 4 simultaneous notes, does this mean it >can play 4 simultaneous notes in one channel or is it just one note >per channel?

Actually any combination as long as no more then 4 notes are played simultaneously. Careful when using 2 chord pianos ! Or drumsets !

>4. What is the note range for each channel?

Good question - no answer. All I know is that you can go very high, and the pitch (funny enough) determines the volume too.

>5. What tempo range is supported?

No idea

>6. Is tempo change in the middle of the song allowed?

Yes

>7. Is patch or instrument change in the middle of song supported?

Better to put each instrument in a separate channel. Remember four notes simultaneously...

>8. For downloading from a wap site, is there a special code needed >to let the phone download or you simply just need a link or anchor >to the midi file and the phone would download automatically?

Just as on any plain ole web (html) site. Link it and you got it. Carful though, depending on the operator there is a max filesize limit. Needless to say that if you got more then one operator in your couyntry you gotta go for the lowest common designator...

9. And lastly for now, are there any other sp-midi editors out there besides Beatnik?

Beatnik, no other editor (so far). Shame that the demo version of Beatnik is so limited (you basically can't do anything). But with the arrival of more and more polyphonic phones, you gotta get used to the idea of using different s/w anyway. Some phone specifically insist on XGWorks, some Cakewalk, some Cubase (ahhhh viva the MIDI 'standard')

>Thank you so much. Hoping for a prompt reply.

HTH

Guido