Discussion Board

newbie having problems running emulator

Hi everyone!

Now that i've sort of successfully compiled my "helloworld" program, the emulator (debug, i think) won't run the application. I've also tried to build this project with other targets, but is also won't run. In the case i compile the project with the "WINSCW UREL" target it does that, but when it's time for the emulator to start runnin, i get this error: "can't read symbolics for this target".
    I also tried to compile it in DOS in which case i get the following when writting the command "abld build wins (or winscw) udeb (or urel)":
    ECT\WINS\NEW_PROJECT.WINS LIBRARY, ...) failed.
    make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
    make: *** [LIBRARYNEW_PROJECT] Error 2
    make -r -f "\Symbian\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\BUILD\SYMBIAN\SERIES60_1_2_CW\SEM
    INARKSO\HELLOWORLD\GROUP\WINS.make" RESOURCE CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    nmake -nologo -x - -s -f "\Symbian\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\BUILD\SYMBIAN\SERIES6
    0_1_2_CW\SEMINARKSO\HELLOWORLD\GROUP\NEW_PROJECT\WINS\NEW_PROJECT.WINS" RESOURCE
    UDEB
    process_begin: CreateProcess((null), nmake -nologo -x - -s -f \Symbian\Series60_
    1_2_CW\EPOC32\BUILD\SYMBIAN\SERIES60_1_2_CW\SEMINARKSO\HELLOWORLD\GROUP\NEW_PROJ
    ECT\WINS\NEW_PROJECT.WINS RESOURCEUDEB, ...) failed.
    make: *** [RESOURCENEW_PROJECT] Error 2
    INARKSO\HELLOWORLD\GROUP\WINS.make" TARGET CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    nmake -nologo -x - -s -f "\Symbian\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\BUILD\SYMBIAN\SERIES6
    0_1_2_CW\SEMINARKSO\HELLOWORLD\GROUP\NEW_PROJECT\WINS\NEW_PROJECT.WINS" UDEB
    process_begin: CreateProcess((null), nmake -nologo -x - -s -f \Symbian\Series60_
    1_2_CW\EPOC32\BUILD\SYMBIAN\SERIES60_1_2_CW\SEMINARKSO\HELLOWORLD\GROUP\NEW_PROJ
    ECT\WINS\NEW_PROJECT.WINS UDEB, ...) failed.
    make: *** [TARGETNEW_PROJECT] Error 2
    INARKSO\HELLOWORLD\GROUP\WINS.make" FINAL CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    C:\Symbian\Series60_1_2_CW\SeminarKSO\HelloWorld\Group>

Please help

Thanx

Miha

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hello,

Try to compile for udeb wins:
    abld build wincw udeb
    it's best approach for emulator usage.

and seems you have already tried but not succeeded :-( Something is not ok on your environment...may be resource compilation fails. Are you using microsoft (wins) or codewarrior (winscw) ? It's quite important that you use correct one. Try also force clean: "abld reallyclean" on prompt if there is some early failed build.

Br V

Hi!

Tnx for your your help Veskola, but unfortunately it didn't help. I'm using "Metrowerks Codewarrior for Symbian personal v2.0" and "series 60 SDK v1.2 for symbian OS", which supports codewarrior. I tried every thing you suggested, but now i get the following message:

C:\Symbian\SERIES~1\SEMINA~1\HELLOW~1\Group>abld build winscw udeb
    make -r -f "\symbian\series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\BUILD\SYMBIAN\SERIES~1\SEMINA~1\H
    ELLOW~1\GROUP\EXPORT.make" EXPORT VERBOSE=-s
    Nothing to do
    ELLOW~1\GROUP\WINSCW.make" MAKEFILE VERBOSE=-s
    perl -S makmake.pl -D \SYMBIAN\SERIES~1\SEMINA~1\HELLOW~1\GROUP\NEW_PROJECT WINS
    CW
    Detected CodeWarrior for Symbian OS, version 2.0
    ELLOW~1\GROUP\WINSCW.make" LIBRARY VERBOSE=-s
    make -s -r -f "\symbian\series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\BUILD\SYMBIAN\SERIES~1\SEMINA~1\
    HELLOW~1\GROUP\NEW_PROJECT\WINSCW\NEW_PROJECT.WINSCW" LIBRARY
    ELLOW~1\GROUP\WINSCW.make" RESOURCE CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    HELLOW~1\GROUP\NEW_PROJECT\WINSCW\NEW_PROJECT.WINSCW" RESOURCEUDEB
    ELLOW~1\GROUP\WINSCW.make" TARGET CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    HELLOW~1\GROUP\NEW_PROJECT\WINSCW\NEW_PROJECT.WINSCW" UDEB
    mwldsym2.exe: Error creating file: NEW_PROJECT.APP
    mwldsym2.exe: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by ano
    ther process.

Errors caused tool to abort.
    make[1]: *** [\symbian\series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\SYSTEM\APPS\
    NEW_PROJECT\NEW_PROJECT.APP] Error 1
    make: *** [TARGETNEW_PROJECT] Error 2
    ELLOW~1\GROUP\WINSCW.make" FINAL CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s

C:\Symbian\SERIES~1\SEMINA~1\HELLOW~1\Group>

At first i got an error, that i had a drive letter in my EPOCROOT. I typed "set EPOCROOT =\symbian\series60_1_2_CW\" in the command prompt and fixed the problem (at least i think i did).
    Is it possible that (i think it is) my "include" paths are wrong. I have c++ visual studio installed on my computer, but i'm not using it at the moment. anyway in my include path i have a path to c++ (instead of metrowerks CW, which i think should be).
    Would you (or anyone else) be so kind and tell me what the correct path would be, or which of my settings are wrong. I tried to correct this path with the command "set", but it didn't help.

Anyway these are my settings:
    C:\Symbian\SERIES~1\SEMINA~1\HELLOW~1\Group>set
    ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
    APPDATA=C:\Documents and Settings\s_doberletm\Application Data
    CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
    COMPUTERNAME=DOBERLETM
    ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
    epocroot=\symbian\series60_1_2_CW\
    HOMEDRIVE=Z:
    HOMEPATH=\
    HOMESHARE=\\lt67\home\doberletm
    include=c:\program files\c++\msdevstd\include;c:\program files\c++\msdevstd\mfc\
    include;%include%
    lib=c:\program files\c++\msdevstd\lib;c:\program files\c++\msdevstd\mfc\lib;%lib
    %
    LM_LICENSE_FILE=C:\Program Files\Metrowerks\CodeWarrior For Symbian Personal v2.
    0\license.dat
    LOGONSERVER=\\LT67
    MWSym2Libraries=C:\Program Files\Metrowerks\CodeWarrior For Symbian Personal v2.
    0\Other_Metrowerks_Tools\Symbian Libs\Pro2
    MWSym2LibraryFiles=MSL_C_x86.lib;MSL_Extras_x86.lib;MSL_Runtime_x86.lib;MSL_C++_
    x86.lib;gdi32.lib;user32.lib;kernel32.lib;
    NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
    OS=Windows_NT
    Path=C:\Symbian\Series60_1_2_CW\epoc32\tools;C:\Symbian\Series60_1_2_CW\epoc32\g
    cc\bin;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symbian\Tools;c:\programs\Perl\bin;C:\WINDO
    WS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;E:\PROGRA~1\ULTRAE~1;;C:\Program
    Files\Metrowerks\CodeWarrior For Symbian Personal v2.0\Bin;C:\Program Files\Met
    rowerks\CodeWarrior For Symbian Personal v2.0\Other_Metrowerks_Tools\Command Lin
    e Tools;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symbian\Tools;C:\Program Files\C++\MSDEVST
    D\BIN
    PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
    PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
    PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6, GenuineIntel
    PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
    PROCESSOR_REVISION=0806
    ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
    PROMPT=$P$G
    SESSIONNAME=Console
    SystemDrive=C:
    SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
    TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\S_DOBE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp
    TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\S_DOBE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp
    USERDNSDOMAIN=LABORATORIJ.LTFE.ORG
    USERDOMAIN=LTK
    USERNAME=s_doberletm
    USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\s_doberletm
    windir=C:\WINDOWS
    WIND_BASE=E:\T2PPCWN
    WIND_HOST_TYPE=x86-win32

C:\Symbian\SERIES~1\SEMINA~1\HELLOW~1\Group>

I hope you can help me. Thanks again veskola.

Bye
    Miha

Nokia Developer Expert
    Huoh, really greate :-o

There is two important issues to be check:
    - EPOCROOT is defined to point to the epoc32 directory of correct SDK.
    - PATH is defined so it finds building tools from epoc32/tools from the same SDK

if you have some other SDK, e.g. for microsoft, installed sure you may have troubles. I have find very good solution to avoid conflicts.

[prepare9500.bat]
    subst s: /d
    subst s: C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series80_SDK_1_0b

[environment variables]
    and EPOCROOT=\
    and PATH = <...>\epoc32\tools;\epoc32\gcc\bin;<...>

Now you command prompt to S-drive and should find corrects tools and directories.

When you build your makefile (abld makefile cw) all needed include an library definitions should be added to project definition file. May be on your case the best solution is to remove microsoft definitions from environment variables to avoid any problems...and later add back when compilation succees.

...and obviously those perl installations should be on good shape.

...and heh, remember always t force that reallyclean after made some environment changes. i hope you will find the solution but can't help more at this time.

Br V.