Discussion Board

MMS and User Input

I am looking at build a mobile app:

There are two main processes:

1) accept user input (list selections, radio buttons, text field etc), capture an image from the phone, store on a remote server.

2) Send a user a selection of images. Allow a user to select an image and send it with a message to another phone.

My current thinking it to develop it using Wap 2.0, but I am not sure about the current take up of wap 2? Can anyone comment on this?

So I am now looking at MMS. Plenty of documentation about creating a message body to send an image, etc, but I have yet to find any mention of building in HTML like objects - forms, scripting, etc? Are these not in the MMS spec, or am I missing something?

General question. Would a MMS app be downloaded to the phone once and used many times, or is it stored on the server and downloaded and run each time the user wants to access it?

thanks in advance

Regular Contributor
    Hi. I think we can safely say the following is true:

MMS < > User Input

=o)

For step 1, where you actually need to capture an image from the phone, I'd say you need to look at native C++ Symbian development.

Step 2 could somehow be handled on the server end, if the user is asked to select an image, and inputs the phone number where it should be sent, then the server takes care of making the MMS to send it on, and gives this to an MMSC.

Typically you just don't think of an MMS message as being an application in and of itself. But to answer your question: depending on the intent, it could be either downloaded once and used many times, or it may need to be downloaded each time. It would just depend on the actual content -- is it something that changes? If not, then you can just download it once.

You might want to take a look at "Series 60 Developer Platform 2.0: SMIL Tutorial and Guidelines for MMS" to see what sorts of things are possible with SMIL.

-paul / ForumNokia

Paul

thanks for this valuable input.

Q) I do not have c++ skills, would you consider java to be a viable alternative?

Q) What is your opinion on the potential takeup of WAP 2.0 : a) by the phone manufacturers, b) by the end user?

Q) My overview was perhaps misleading (or indeed, incorrect!). Part of the functionality of the application is for the user to be able to download an image FROM their phone TO the server. This cannot be done within WAP 2.0, so I need an elegant solution

My preferred solution is still WAP (I have a web background). Any thoughts on this (ie can I initiate a MMS creation wizard from wap?)

If I do have to look at java as an alternatively - is there a java class to do the image upload? Can I access the users phonebook for read from java? (I know you cannot do this in wap)

TIA

Kevin

Regular Contributor
    A) WMA (Wireless Messaging API) 2.0 is apparently supposed to have some MMS functionality. But until it is here, implementing a Java-based MMS app on the phone is going to be "next to impossible".

A) WAP got a bad rap in the early days, and I think when you actually see WAP over GPRS and "in color", you just don't even think of it as the same beast as "WAP" of old. I certainly don't think it's "going away" in the very near future by any means as far as anyone is concerned.

A) (and the rest) You'll need to check the rest of this on the Java side - I just don't know anything about MIDP and all that in order to say anything here.

If you want, I can move this thread to the Java side...

-paul / ForumNokia