Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Mulitplayer Games are very expensive to develop?

Because they are so expensive to develop how are the companies re-couping these costs?

They get their fee for selling the client to each user but do the network operators give the developer a slice of the data transfer cost that the game creats from the players?

Brian

Super Contributor
    Either that, or sometimes just charging the user a fee for x time you can play the game, similar to MMOGs in the PC environment.

shmoove

Regular Contributor
    Multiplayer opens up ways of billing users in other ways than pay-per-download (such as monthly fees, pay-per-play etc.). As far as tech goes, i work for a company that provides multiplayer middleware SDKs for such projects, so you wouldnt have to worry about the server side of things much, and the entire network layer (client and server) as well as the necessary interfaces are made for you, it's quite a modular thing. If you're interested drop me a note. Actually, i've just returned from 3GSM in Cannes and the demand for multiplayer games was overwhelming, especially from publishers and content aggregators. It's potentially profitable market. Anyway, i dont think they're vastly more expensive to produce, and i think billing users for playing them is, if anything, more lucrative..

Remon van Vliet
    Ex Machina
    remon@exmachina.nl

Regular Contributor
    Yeah there are various ways to bill the user.

Would Network operators give you a slice of there gprs revenue created by the game or would this only happen with special cases like TibiaME and T-mobile.

Do you think that the time for MMO games has come yet?

I still think we are a couple of months from there being the user base to make it worth while investing the time/money in this genre.

Any ideas what kind of member figures current MMO games are getting?

Brian