Discussion Board

SMS Problem with 3650&6600

Hello,

İ have been asking about an sms problem that i encountered with my old 3650!! Which i got rid of!
    Now i bought a brand new 6600.Guess what?Again the same problem.
    Thanks to member "keypad" he answered my helpless call but like i learnt from the official Tech-Service of Nokia in turkey theres a handicap of Nokia phones;
    Mostly the S 60s,when sending an sms in Language:Turkish Writing Language:Turkish mode if turkish charecters as " i ğ ş ç ö ü " are written the message is seperated automatically by the phone into several messages and sent in several sms'.
    Which causes toincrease the bill in a respective amount.
    As i learnt from the Tech-service Nokia 2100 had the same problem too but has been repaired by a patch.But No Patch For 3650 or 6600 !
    WHY HAVENT İ BEEN WARNED BY NOKIA?
    Anyways can anyone help me with this problem?which drives me really nuts! THANKS ALREADY
    Last edited by CemKarahan; 2004-03-10 at 00:30.

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hi!

I don't know the details in full, but if the message contains some other characters than GSM character-set characters, message will be Unicoded. Unicode message will take more bytes per each character and one SMS can hold only some of letters. When one "special" character has been added to SMS the whole message will be unicoded.

Series 60 devices has a indicator when editing a SMS how many SMS will be sent out.

Teemu / Forum Nokia

SMS Problem with 3650&6600

Thanks a lot for your attention.Here are the details;

Like you told,theres the unicode standard.But My old 6510 did not have the same problem.Or any other phone else than 2100,36x0 and 66x0...So without it phone can still work and even better.
    Unicode may be a feature for Latin Languages but For turkey who has a population of 80,000,000 is a problem.Already 6 friends of mine including me which i got rid of 3650,have sold their phones and bought some else.
    Well if theres a patch developed for 2100,must be one for 6600 or must be developped.Well i am sorry,im really furious about the situation which happened for the second time and Nokia didnt warn me.

Thanks for your help auvinent...

The turkish letters are "ğ ü ş ç ö" and "Ğ Ü Ş İ Ç Ö",These letters are very important in our grammar almost used in every sentence.