Discussion Board

Network security policies

Hi,

Does anyone know what are the network security policies used in Nokia's J2ME/MIDP enabled phones? Are network connections from a midlet limited to the midlet's originating server (and port) only or is it possible to connect to any server (and any port)? In my tests I have found that this varies from phone to phone but I'd like to know what the security policy really is (or at least what it is supposed to be). How does this work for a midlet that has been downloaded via infra red as it has no originating server? It cannot access network at all?

Regular Contributor

RE: Network security policies

I don't think there is a security policy - infact there shouldn't be!
    CLDC/MIDP does not specify any such security policy, so to implement it, would break nokia's MIDP compliancy.

Regular Contributor

RE: Network security policies

Hello,

MIDlets don't have Applet-like communication restrictions. It would have been rather stupid to restrict access from MIDlets to the download server only. You proved that point with the example of infra-red downloading.

The only restrictions arise from the Generic Connection Framework, and it's implementation. MIDP 1.0 defines that the devices should at least support HTTP protocol. Devices might offer other communciation protocols, like Nokia 3410 does with SMS.

To sum it up, using HTTPConnection class you can connect to any address using HTTP protocol in you MIDlet. The only restrictions on allowed addresses might come from the operator, if any.

Regards,

Petteri / Forum Nokia