Discussion Board

MP3 on 6600: my solution, the free and easy way!

Hello,

Having looked at the boards, I saw that a lot of people asked about how to listen to MP3 files on your Nokia 6600. I saw numerous possible answers, but I didn't find any of them too useful. They included suggestions like:

- Convert it to WAV
    No good because it takes up too much space.
    - Use a Symbian-based MP3 player
    They cost money or are unreliable
    etc.

So here is my solution. The 6600 has a very nice in-built Realplayer, so let's use that. Simply convert any MP3 you want to listen to into a RealMedia file! The necessary tool is freely available from RealNetworks itself, at the time of writing available from this URL:

http://www.realnetworks.com/products/producer/basic.html

Here is an important tip: When converting the file, make sure you select the appropriate "audience". By audience, the conversion tool basically just means the quality of the file. The better the quality, the more space it takes up.

A standard MP3 file usually has a bitrate of 128kbps. During conversion, I selected 128k Dual ISDN as the audience, because that gives a bitrate of 100kbs, the closest I found to 128kbps. At this quality, 2 minutes of music ends up at around 1.5 Megabytes. This means about 40 minutes of music can be stored on a 32 Megabyte Multimedia Card. You might want to set the quality lower if you want to store more.

Also, if you don't touch the audience settings, then by default the converter produces three different quality outputs simultaneously, and saves all three in the output file. This obviously wastes space.

Let me know how you get on!

How to play using your advice

Hello
    i followed as you explained and i have downloaded .sis file of Nokia 7650 . I tried on 6600 it is installed .I have few issues to clarify .No 6600 is mentioned to download hence i took sis of 7650 .How to play a song then of .mp3.How to send a file or stream a file so as to enable me to here that song .

i wnat to play on 6600 only but not 7650 .can you pleae suggest me to achieve this and also how to give URL option.it is displaying invalid URL inspite of correct URLs.

can you please help me in this regard

anticipating reply

Thanks and Regards
    RKN

You seem to have misunderstood my post

I didn't mention any .sis files nor any programs that you should download to the phone. I was talking about using Real Helix Producer 9. This is a program that you download and run on your PC.

It does the following: It converts an .mp3 file you have on your PC into a .rm file, which still just ends up on your PC.

You then use whatever method you can (like Infrared, Bluetooth) to transfer the .rm file onto the Nokia 6600.

The Nokia 6600 can then play .rm using the Realplayer that is already on there.

Let me repeat. You do not run any downloaded programs on your phone. You simply copy over the .rm file that you made on your PC to the phone, and listen to it on the phone.

Wink Re: MP3 on 6600: my solution, the free and easy way!

hiasfsdgfdbfdcxbvbsdcxzxcxzcvcxb
    Quote Originally Posted by zradnai View Post
    Hello,

Having looked at the boards, I saw that a lot of people asked about how to listen to MP3 files on your Nokia 6600. I saw numerous possible answers, but I didn't find any of them too useful. They included suggestions like:

- Convert it to WAV
    No good because it takes up too much space.
    - Use a Symbian-based MP3 player
    They cost money or are unreliable
    etc.

So here is my solution. The 6600 has a very nice in-built Realplayer, so let's use that. Simply convert any MP3 you want to listen to into a RealMedia file! The necessary tool is freely available from RealNetworks itself, at the time of writing available from this URL:

http://www.realnetworks.com/products...cer/basic.html

Here is an important tip: When converting the file, make sure you select the appropriate "audience". By audience, the conversion tool basically just means the quality of the file. The better the quality, the more space it takes up.

A standard MP3 file usually has a bitrate of 128kbps. During conversion, I selected 128k Dual ISDN as the audience, because that gives a bitrate of 100kbs, the closest I found to 128kbps. At this quality, 2 minutes of music ends up at around 1.5 Megabytes. This means about 40 minutes of music can be stored on a 32 Megabyte Multimedia Card. You might want to set the quality lower if you want to store more.

Also, if you don't touch the audience settings, then by default the converter produces three different quality outputs simultaneously, and saves all three in the output file. This obviously wastes space.

Let me know how you get on!