Discussion Board

Unable to deploy J2ME application using Application Installer, Nokia 6310i

I have Nokia PC Suite 4.8.1 and am trying to deploy a Java app. This app is running fine in the J2MEWTK, dubble clicking the jad file works, but using the tool to get it on my 6310i results in the progress bar to continue 33% and an error popup "Operation failed".
    On the phone, the name of specified in the JAD file appear, but I get the feeling that the jar file is not copied. Size in jad is correct.

Any help is welcome.

Running Windows XP, IMB T21 laptop, IrDA connection, phone says 54kb free, app size (jar file) 7024 bytes

RE: Unable to deploy J2ME application using Application Installer, Nokia 6310i

Figured it out. It had to do with the WAP stuff not being enabled yet. Maybe common knowledge, but news to me that it had to be enabled.

What I saw was that when the phone is able to do WAP, the upload of the midlet works all well. If not, I saw problems. Although I think that this is not really related, it did seem to work only when the WAP settings on the phone were correct.

Again, I have the feeling that WAP and midlet might not be related at all, but it is the only way for me to explain the behavior I got.

I've experienced the same problem, and it's still happening, despite having enabled WAP over GPRS on my phone, does it make a difference if it's WAP over GPRS or WAP over GSM that's enabled?

Regular Contributor

Hello,

Further to the discussion, WAP settings need to be active for download and MIDlet HTTP traffic. That's because all the traffic is carried through a WAP gateway, which, in the case of Nokia phones, must support Segmentation and Reassembly (SAR) functionality.

You can select either WAP over GSM (Data) or WAP over GPRS as carrier. The big difference between them is speed (GPRS is faster) and cost (GPRS is cheaper) and the technology (GSM Data is circuit-switched, GPRS is packet-switched).

Regards,

Petteri / Forum Nokia

I'd also like to emphasise the question remaining as to what, if anything, needs to be configured in the WAP settings, or elsewhere on the phone, to get a J2ME application installed?

I'm still stuck here with this uninformative "Operation Failed" message, happening during both IR and serial cable install attempts. WAP/GPRS has been configured and is working. There doesn't seem to be any logs or anyway to track what's going on. The .jad and .jar files i'm using i'm pretty sure are correct, besides even the sample apps. i've tried produce the same "Operation Failed" message.

thanks, any help appreciated.

Regular Contributor

Hello,

WAP settings are needed only for Over-the-Air download (OTA). Serial and infra-red downloads using PC Suite install the MIDlet suite directly to the phone and don't involve Java Application Manager (as in OTA download).

Regards,

Petteri / Forum Nokia