Discussion Board

Different Series 60 Epoc Problem

Hi,

I've got a problem with running EPOC on XP, it simply shows "Series 60", for two minutes the a white screen everafter. (I have left it for 20mins on my 2.6Ghz PC)

BUT - Before you hit the reply button, or look at some other post for a user who has read through previous post first, I'm afraid that I have installed the SDK in the standard directory on drive C: (C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\), and have ensured that the ini file is set correctly:

---
    _EPOC_DRIVE_D \Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\Epoc32\wins\d
    ---

I also have the UIQ SDK (the EPOC there works fine), and I have several J2ME SDKS installed as well as the JRE.

I've tried uninstalling the SDK (V2.0) and reinstalling, to no avail.

Thanks very much in advance for any reply,

Dave

Regular Contributor
    Hi !

I cannot offer a solution but I have experienced a similar problem. When I startup the emulator and switch to another window to check my mail or to take a look at the forum, the emulator takes very long to start up and my computer hardly responds in the meantime. It takes even a few minutes just to kill the program from the task manager.

When I don't switch to another window the emulator starts up slowly but without any problem.

My Systen has an Athlon 1900+ with 512 MBytes RAM and runs Windows XP.

I've also installed the UIQ SDK 2.1 and the startup there is nearly the same. But the shutdown of the emulator there takes about 5 minutes even if the emulator crashes. But in this case the CPU load is very low but I cannot kill the process with the task manager.

Regards,
    Bernd

Thanks for your reply Bernd,

I've tried not changing task, but unfortunately it still doesn't load, just sticks on the white screen after 'Series 60' indefinately (at least for 10mins anyway).

The odd thing is that epoc for the UIQ SDK loads immediately, and I've since downloaded the series 80 SDK to test that, and it also loads pretty fast (ie. 5 sec).

I'll continue to look into it, but thanks for your suggestion.

Dave

JRE and ActivePerl 518

I've just noticed that the comments on the SDK say that the JRE and ActivePerl 518 must be installed. Do they need to be installed if I plan to run .SIS files only? And what on earth is ActivePerl 518, I can't find anything on Google about it..?!

Thanks for any help,
    Dave

SIS

When I say .SIS files, I mean run C++ projects only. lol

Dave

EPOCWIND.out

This may help if anyone out there knows more than I do about epoc: I ran epoc which doesn't work as described in the parent message, and it wrote the followign to EPOCWIND.OUT which I believe is the log for epoc:

------------------------------------------------
    Can't load ELOCL.00
    Can't load EKDATA.00
    Starter:Server startingStarterServer::NewL()StarterServer::ConstructL()FeatMgr: InitializeLibL() SharedData: Assign to 0x10005a2b by StarterServerSharedData: total allocated memory: 504FeatMgr: TLS increase, clients now(1) SharedData: Get request with key "1057" by StarterServerStarter:Connecting File Server...Starter:Connected to File ServerStarter:Connect SD Server...Starter:Connected to SD serverStarter:Assigning to KSysTargetUIDSharedData: Assign to 0x10005943 (temp) by StarterServerSharedData: total allocated memory: 644Starter:ConnectMandatoryResources OKStarter:InitStartupMode...[DOSSERVER] CDosServer::LoadDsyModuleL()[DOSSERVER] CDosServer::LoadDsyModuleL() - fs connected[DOSSERVER] Opening file: Z:\system\data\DosServer.ini[DOSSERVER] error occurs if above file is missing from build![DOSSERVER] CDosServer::LoadDsyModuleL() - file opened[DOSSERVER] CDosServer::LoadDsyModuleL() - file readed[DOSSERVER] CDosServer::LoadDsyModuleL() - name: 142746056[DOSSERVER] CDosServer::LoadDsyModuleL() completedCDosServer::NewSessionL()[DOSSERVER] ** CDosServer - Add session, count: 1[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL()[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::DispatchMessageL()[DOSSERVER] EDosCreateHelperSubSession[DOSSERVER] dosService created, continuing...[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::SetupSubSessionL()[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::SetupSubSessionL() - aService valid[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::SetupSubSessionL() completed[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL() completed[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL()[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::DispatchMessageL()[DOSSERVER] dosService created, continuing...[DOSSERVER] Calling ExecuteMessageL...[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL() completed[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL()[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::DispatchMessageL()[DOSSERVER] dosService created, continuing...[DOSSERVER] Calling ExecuteMessageL...[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL() completed[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL()[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::DispatchMessageL()[DOSSERVER] EDosCloseSubSession[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::CloseSubSession()[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL() completedCDosSession::~CDosSession()[DOSSERVER] Deleting services...[DOSSERVER] iServices : 142746224[DOSSERVER] iServices count: 0[DOSSERVER] Callback dropsession[DOSSERVER] ** CDosServer - Drop session, count: 0[DOSSERVER] iServiceCon - remove callback[DOSSERVER] iServiceCon : 142746164[DOSSERVER] iServiceCon count: 0CDosSession::~CDosSession() - endCDosServer::NewSessionL()[DOSSERVER] ** CDosServer - Add session, count: 1[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL()[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::DispatchMessageL()[DOSSERVER] EDosCreateHelperSubSession[DOSSERVER] dosService created, continuing...[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::SetupSubSessionL()[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::SetupSubSessionL() - aService valid[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::SetupSubSessionL() completed[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL() completed[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL()[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::DispatchMessageL()[DOSSERVER] dosService created, continuing...[DOSSERVER] Calling ExecuteMessageL...[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL() completed[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL()[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::DispatchMessageL()[DOSSERVER] EDosCloseSubSession[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::CloseSubSession()[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL() completedCDosSession::~CDosSession()[DOSSERVER] Deleting services...[DOSSERVER] iServices : 142746224[DOSSERVER] iServices count: 0[DOSSERVER] Callback dropsession[DOSSERVER] ** CDosServer - Drop session, count: 0[DOSSERVER] iServiceCon - remove callback[DOSSERVER] iServiceCon : 142746164[DOSSERVER] iServiceCon count: 0CDosSession::~CDosSession() - endCDosServer::NewSessionL()[DOSSERVER] ** CDosServer - Add session, count: 1[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL()[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::DispatchMessageL()[DOSSERVER] EDosCreateHelperSubSession[DOSSERVER] dosService created, continuing...[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::SetupSubSessionL()[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::SetupSubSessionL() - aService valid[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::SetupSubSessionL() completed[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL() completed[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL()[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::DispatchMessageL()[DOSSERVER] dosService created, continuing...[DOSSERVER] Calling ExecuteMessageL...[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL() completed[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL()[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::DispatchMessageL()[DOSSERVER] EDosCloseSubSession[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::CloseSubSession()[DOSSERVER] CDosSession::ServiceL() completedCDosSession::~CDosSession()[DOSSERVER] Deleting services...[DOSSERVER] iServices : 142746224Starter:Startup reason query 0: 0,100,hid=0,rtc=1[DOSSERVER] iServices count: 0[DOSSERVER] Callback dropsession[DOSSERVER] ** CDosServer - Drop session, count: 0[DOSSERVER] iServiceCon - remove callback[DOSSERVER] iServiceCon : 142746164[DOSSERVER] iServiceCon count: 0CDosSession::~CDosSession() - endStarter:LFFS check: err=0, type=5SharedData: Set request "sys.wd2sr=0" by StarterServerSharedData: Set request "sys.swsr=100" by StarterServerStarter:Startup mode is 0,100SharedData: Set request "state.src=[100059c9]" by StarterServerStarter:Set ESWStateInitialising state.SharedData: Set request "state.val=201" by StarterServerSharedData: SetReserveFileSize() startSharedData: Free disk space: 43644874752SharedData: Reserve file size: 65536SharedData: SetReserveFileSize() loopSharedData: Free disk space: 43644874752SharedData: Expected reserve file size: 65536SharedData: Reserve file size: 65536SharedData: SetReserveFileSize() endSharedData: Free disk space: 43644874752SharedData: Expected reserve file size: 65536SharedData: Reserve file size: 65536Starter:InitStartupMode: lang=1,day=16,mon=3,year=2004,hh=2,mm=22,ss=23,offset=0Starter:InitStartupMode done.Starter:Create dir D:\system\temp\, status -11Starter:Create dir D:\wap\, status -11Starter:Create dir D:\cbs\, status -11Starter:Resource file openedStarter:Resource reader set.Starter:Splash Screen Exe: Z:\SYSTEM\PROGRAMS\SPLASHSCREENStarter:Resolving startup listStarter:Application List id : 3Starter:Is First boot check -1Starter:RFS StartStarter:Running Script Z:\system\rfs\ScriptInit.txtRFS: command status: 0RFS: command status: 0SharedData: Set request "sys.rfss=0" by StarterServerStarter:RFS End, status 0Starter:StartupReason = 100Starter:RunLStarter:RunL.EStartApplicationsStarter:LaunchNextItem:exeType=10,delay=0Starter:LaunchItem:monitor=0Starter:LaunchNextItem:After delay=0Starter:RunLStarter:RunL.EStartApplicationsStarter:LaunchNextItem:exeType=5,delay=0Starter:LaunchItem:monitor=0Starter:HandleSplashScreen beginCThreadWatcher:ConstructL-threadStarter:Resume SplashScreenStarter:HandleSplashScreen: SplashScreen startedStarter:HandleSplashScreen: No SplashScreen when UDEBStarter:HandleSplashScreen: SplashScreen end=0Starter:LaunchNextItem:After delay=0SplashScreen: E32MainSplashScreen DoIt StartSplashScreen: CWsClient::ConstructL StartStarter:RunLStarter:RunL.EStartApplicationsStarter:LaunchNextItem:exeType=23,delay=0Starter:LaunchItem:monitor=0Starter:StartRandomServer() beginSplashScreen: CSplashWsClient::ConstructMainWindowL StartSplashScreen: CMainWindow::ConstructL StartSplashScreen: CWindow::ConstructL StartSplashScreen CWindow::ConstructL FinishSplashScreen: CMainWindow::ConstructL Load Bitmap 176225760SplashScreen: CMainWindow::ConstructL FinishSplashScreen: CSplashWsClient::ConstructMainWindowL FinishSplashScreen: CWsClient::ConstructL About to start CActiveSchedulerSplashScreen: CSplashWsClient::RunLStarter:StartRandomServer() end, err = 0Starter:LaunchNextItem:After delay=0SplashScreen: CWsRedrawer::RunLStarter:RunLStarter:RunL.EStartApplicationsStarter:LaunchNextItem:exeType=22,delay=0SplashScreen: CMainWindow::Draw startStarter:LaunchItem:monitor=0Starter:HandleStartEikonSplashScreen: CMainWindow::Draw finishSharedData: Assign to 0x100056c6 by StarterServerSharedData: total allocated memory: 1220SharedData: Set request "Layout=-1" by StarterServerSysLocale:LoadLocaleL start...SysLocale:MakeDataFileNameL start, lang=1SysLocale:MakeDataFileNameL end: C:\system\bootdata\LocaleData.D01SysLocale:LoadIndep start: TimeOffset=0SysLocale:MakeDataFileNameL start, lang=0SysLocale:MakeDataFileNameL end: C:\system\bootdata\CommonData.D00SysLocale:LoadIndep: No data found.

...[MIDDLE EDITED OUT DUE TO MESSAGE SIZE LIMIT] ...

EikAppUiServerSharedData: total allocated memory: 2612SharedData: Get request with key "EcS#sWiTcH" by EikAppUiServerSharedData: Assign to 0x100058ec by EikAppUiServerSharedData: total allocated memory: 4648SharedData: Get request with key "AutoLock" by EikAppUiServer(SECURITYNOTIFIER)CSecurityNotifier::RegisterL()SharedData: Assign to 0x100058fa by KeySoundServerThreadSharedData: total allocated memory: 6160SharedData: Get request with key "KeyVolume" by KeySoundServerThreadFeatMgr: UnInitializeLibL() FeatMgr: TLS decrease, clients now(1) FeatMgr: TLS can NOT be freed, clients(1) FeatMgr: UnInitializeLibL() FeatMgr: TLS decrease, clients now(0) FeatMgr: TLS can be freed, clients(0) FeatMgr: delete TLS
    ---------------------------------

Any ideas? All I can tell is that theres a few things going on there that probably shouldn't.. I had to edit out a little of the middle due to the max msg size limit, don';t think much was happening there. What is ELOCL.00?

Thanks again,
    Dave

Regular Contributor

Hi

stimpyboy,do you have resolved your problem?
    I met the same problem with you.
    If you resolve it ,please tell me quickly.Thank you !

Regular Contributor

ActivePerl

Hi Dave,

ActivePerl is not that hard to find. Take a look at http://www.activeperl.com/

I think the UIQ SDK installs it if it isn't already installed. You can open a DOS window and enter the command 'perl -v'. This tells you which version of perl is installed.

The java jre which is neede is exactly the version which is required otherwise it is not found by the installer and you have to edit some links on the desktop to point at the right jre. The UIQ SDK installs the the riquired java jre.

Bernd

Thanks again Bernd42,

Seems I do have Perl and the latest version of the JRE..

(I'm afraid I'm no futher starryshen :( )

Incidentally I ran a FileMon on EPOC and came up with the following:

It seems to load all the apps etc fine, in
    fact once it loads the last application (sdn.app) it immediately then starts
    to write to a browser security log? :

03:02:24 epoc.exe:3316 WRITE
    C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\Epoc32\WINS\C\LOGS\BrowserSecurityDialogs\Brows
    erSecurityDialogsNotifierDebugLog.log SUCCESS Offset: 24615 Length: 87

Then opens and closes this LOGS dir repeatedly:

03:02:24 epoc.exe:3316 OPEN C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\Epoc32\WINS\C\LOGS\
    SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: All

Then writes out the EPOCWIND.OUT log file: (I'm guessing that it's already decided to quit by this point)

03:02:24 epoc.exe:3316 WRITE C:\DOCUME~1\Dave\LOCALS~1\Temp\EPOCWIND.OUT
    SUCCESS Offset: 49583 Length: 28

Then does the following: (It seems to close all the files it had open: it seems to know that it's going to try and quit/give up, or perhaps it's just clearing resources for the next stage - I have no idea)

03:02:29 epoc.exe:3316 CLOSE
    C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\Epoc32\WINS\C\LOGS\BrowserSecurityDialogs\Brows
    erSecurityDialogsNotifierDebugLog.log SUCCESS

03:03:10 epoc.exe:3316 CREATE
    C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\Epoc32\Data\Emulator\ NAME COLLISION Options:
    Create Directory Access: All

03:03:10 epoc.exe:3316 CREATE
    C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\Epoc32\Data\Emulator\Epoc.sys.ini SUCCESS
    Options: OverwriteIf Access: All

03:03:10 epoc.exe:3316 WRITE
    Offset: 0 Length: 44

03:03:10 epoc.exe:3316 CLOSE

C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\Epoc32\release\wins\udeb SUCCESS

03:03:10 epoc.exe:3316 CLOSE C:\DOCUME~1\Dave\LOCALS~1\Temp\MMCCRD0A.BIN
    SUCCESS

03:03:10 epoc.exe:3316 CLOSE C:\DOCUME~1\Dave\LOCALS~1\Temp\MMCCRD1A.BIN
    SUCCESS

03:03:10 epoc.exe:3316 CLOSE C:\DOCUME~1\Dave\LOCALS~1\Temp\MMCCRD2A.BIN
    SUCCESS

03:03:10 epoc.exe:3316 CLOSE C:\DOCUME~1\Dave\LOCALS~1\Temp\ATRA0000.BIN
    SUCCESS

03:03:10 epoc.exe:3316 CLOSE C:\DOCUME~1\Dave\LOCALS~1\Temp\ATRA1000.BIN
    SUCCESS

C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\Epoc32\release\wins\udeb\z\system\fonts\browser
    eur.gdr SUCCESS

C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\Epoc32\release\wins\udeb\z\system\fonts\calceur
    .gdr SUCCESS

C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\Epoc32\release\wins\udeb\z\system\fonts\ceurope
    .gdr SUCCESS

C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\Epoc32\WINS\C\System\Shareddata\10005a2b.ini
    SUCCESS

C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\Epoc32\WINS\C\System\Data\Logdbu.dat SUCCESS

Then stops, and does nothing else. Ever.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Lol - thanks for any help, I'll be very impressed,

Dave

Same Problem - emulator sits on splash screen

I used to use the 1.0 SDK on Win 2000, and did lots of development without problems. We've recently changed to XP and I installed 1.2. I'm able to build files and everything no problem, both from Visual C (6.0) and the command line. But when I fire up the emulator (debug or release, debugger, or exe) it sits on the splash screen (Series 60), and if I wait a really long time, eventually says StartServer Closing, and then sits with a white screen. This also fits if you look through the/my log -- the Startserver gets a panic. It then seems to repeatedly try, and then eventually gives up. I'm going to ask around, and try un/re-installing the SDK. Please let me know if you've solved your problem in the meantime, and I'll do the same.

Ben

Problem Fix!

If there are people who still want to know, what I did (which worked!) is set in the epoc.ini file the D drive.

I think because I installed the SDK in a non-standard place (on D, under a different name) this caused problems.

In your symbian folder there is a file
    Epoc32\Data\epoc.ini

This has an entry _EPOC_DRIVE_D, which for me was set somewhere on C:. I changed this to
    <symbian>\epoc32\wins\d
    And everything worked like a charm.

As a side note, if you have a virus scanner on, you can really speed up the loading of dlls when you run within the debugger by disabling the virus scanner (I have OfficeScan NT, and for slower machines this can be a 10x speedup).

Ben

Re: Problem Fix!

Originally posted by jbstjohn
    If there are people who still want to know, what I did (which worked!) is set in the epoc.ini file the D drive.

I think because I installed the SDK in a non-standard place (on D, under a different name) this caused problems.

In your symbian folder there is a file
    Epoc32\Data\epoc.ini

This has an entry _EPOC_DRIVE_D, which for me was set somewhere on C:. I changed this to
    <symbian>\epoc32\wins\d
    And everything worked like a charm.

As a side note, if you have a virus scanner on, you can really speed up the loading of dlls when you run within the debugger by disabling the virus scanner (I have OfficeScan NT, and for slower machines this can be a 10x speedup).

Ben
    Thanks Ben,

This solved the problem I was having too (same one)...

Brilliant work!

Jamie