Discussion Board

EPOC Connectivity SDK???

I'm trying to figure out how to integrate our application on the 9210 with our corresponding desktop application. There used to be something called the "EPOC Connectivity SDK" which, as I understand it, would allow a Win32 application to read/write files on the Symbian device. This is exactly what I need to do. However, this SDK seems to have been removed from circulation on the Symbian site and I find no mention of it here. The Nokia PC Connectivity SDK is something else entirely, no?

I can't be the only person trying to get a 9210 application to sync with the PC, can I?

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Paul

Regular Contributor

RE: EPOC Connectivity SDK???

Paul,

The Connectivity SDK is from Symbian, and the PC Suite is from Nokia.
    You can use PC suite for synchronising your device with your PC.
    PC suite for Nokia 9200 communicator can be downloaded from
    http://www.nokia.com/phones/productsupport/9210/downloads.html

Regards,
    Ravi

RE: EPOC Connectivity SDK???

Hello,
    i have the same problem. I want to change files from the nokia with my desktop-application and send them back. I want to do this with Delphi.

<<< The Connectivity SDK is from Symbian, and the PC Suite is from Nokia.
    You can use PC suite for synchronising your device with your PC. >>>

Ok, then let's rephrase the question: is it possible for an *application* to communicate with the device while it is connected to the PC via the PC Suite?

Of course, the PC Suite can be used to manually drag and drop files from and to the Communicator's built-in file system, but how can this be done programatically?

As far as I understand, the necessary APIs are documented in the Connectivity SDK from Symbian - see http://www.symbian.com/developer/dow...qv6pcisdk.html - but the download is no longer available.

Thanks,
    Marcus

Yup that's what we found. We have hassled Nokia to get a copy of the SDK for this and the Series 60 so we can integrate our apps with the desktop like the HandySafe people do and all we got were empty promises that the SDK would ship any day now.

Nokia is really pushing the independence from the desktop angle currently so I have no expectations of getting an SDK ever.

Anyone have a copy of the Crystal or Quartz SDKs that Symbian used to have on their site that they would share with us?

Any comments from our Nokia moderators?

I just spoke to somebody from Nokia at yesterday's developer event in London, and it seems that Nokia are aware of the problem and working on a new release for Series 60 (but not the Communicator). Apparently the situation is such that Nokia and Symbian were not quite clear about who would be responsible for supporting this type of SDK, so it was withdrawn until there was a "proper" solution.

I personally agree that I would prefer an unsupported release of the ER5 SDK to be still available for the time being. If Symbian and Nokia make it clear that they are not giving any help or guarantees about compatibility, I'd be perfectly happy with that...