Discussion Board

Saving/Sending a Message to the local Inbox

Im just trying to create a text message and save it to the local inbox on the phone. I've been looking at trying to send it to the local inbox by using an SMS message however I dont know how to get the port number for the inbox on the phone.

Is there any way to save a message to the inbox on the same phone? I'm trying to alert the used that some event has occured, but rather than using alerts I would like to simply send a message to their inbox.

Regards,
    Issey

Super Contributor
    The messages to the inbox don't have a port number.

shmoove

ok, yes , its says that if u send an SMS from one phone to another just put the phone number eg. sms://+12345678 without a port number and it will arrive in the native inbox.

What i'm trying to do is send a message (or save a message) to the local inbox but i cant use coe like this

String addr = "sms://:"
    MessageConnection conn = (MessageConnection) Connector.open(addr);
    TextMessage msg = (TextMessage) conn.newMessage(MessageConnection.TEXT_MESSAGE);
    msg.setPayloadText( "Hello World" );
    conn.send(msg);

because it says the port is not corrent ie. you cant just leave the port null and try to send the SMS in the hope it arrives at the local inbox.

The other option I have ofcourse is to put the actual phone number i.e. send a real SMS over the air to myself however this seems kinda crazy since it will incur a cost and a delay.

So with the code above, if I new the actual port number fo the native inbox ie if there was some standard way of finding this port number , I could just include the port number and it should work.

Well, maybe i dont need to use SMS at all. I just want to create a new message in the native inbox. I know that we cant read the inbox etc, but surely we can save a message to it cant we??????

true, like u said you can have it send the message to the same phone number, then it will arrive in the inbox. I think port 0 is default to the phone inbox, however as you also said thats like very cost un-effective, unless they have unlimited text. If you solve your problem a better way, pls lemme know.