Discussion Board

Free J2ME Web Site for download testing

Hi,

I've seen some reference to my question, but I could not dinf a complete answer so:

Is the a Web site we can upload too, our JAD & JAR files, and test a download OTA for free ?

Anybody ??

Thanks

Download from PC

One alternative is to download from your PC, just run an instance of a web server, such as Tomcat - this is a straightforward installation. Drop your JAR and JAD into the webapps/ROOT directory and you can then pick it up from there. Remeber that the JAR URL needs to be fully qualified.

Thanks,

But I want to make a full test from the Web site. This way, I am sure that others can download too OTA. At the moment I am not sure they can.

I've tested the application on the Emulators, and it works. Now what is important to me, is to be sure it can be OTAed.

you can confirm from your pc

You will be testing the full OTA - as you get the app to your phone via your local tomcat instance. Just find the IP address of your pc and browse to it. So for example- if you installed tomcat on port 8080 and your ip address is 10.50.80.90 (for example)

browse to http://10.50.80.90:8080/mymidlet.jad on your phone's wap browser.

You need to make sure that your firewall will allow traffic through on that port (whichever you chose), or perform a port redirect to your pc.

Regular Contributor

Hi!

I've got the same problem as arspeiser, so i try to solve the problem from my computer with tomcat web server.

Tomcat is work well with browser, but when i try to reach the .jad file with mobile phone i got this answer:" reply unknown".

The jad file address look like that: http://your.computer.ip:8080/x.jad

I update the jar url in the .jad file.

Any idea?

Thx

have you set the MIME type setting in the web server?

jad : text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor
    jar : application/java-archive

mcmcdonald
    www.t35.com

People on this forum reported, that t35.com doesn't have correct MIME types set. Have they fixed this issue?

I don't have too much web server configuration experience, so i don't know how to set the MIME type.
    But when i try to download the .jad and .jar file with web browser (example Mozilla) i got the following message:
    "The file x.jad is of type text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor and Mozilla does not know how to handle this file type."
    "The file x.jar is of type application/java-archive (WinRAR ZIP acrivum), and Mozilla does not know how to handle this file type."

So i thought it's will work on mobile, but it's not.

Pls help!

Regular Contributor
    Hi!

Yes, it works on t35.com

Regards
    McMc

Thx everyone, finally i did it [very happy]. Tomcat work well, the problem was in the .jar file.

Thx again!