Discussion Board

rotating a image

is there any helper function in MIDP which can be used to rotate the image or any way to make the user feel as if image is rotataing....i can move the image up/down or left/right using coordinate translation but cant rotate .......any ideas

manik

Not in MIDP 1.0. You can rotate image in MIDP 2.0

Well, there is one way for MIDP 1.0...
    Have a look at http://kobjects.org/utils4me/ There's a code for image scaling. You can rotate image using similar way.

Basically it means calculating new position of the every rotated pixel, then setClipping single pixel and drawImage oldImage onto new one so, that oldPixel will be placed into the newPixel position.
    For me it looks quite weird and slow, but it will work

Well, there is one more way of the comparable or even bigger difficulty. If you know PNG file format you can load source image bytes and modify byte array.

Regular Contributor

manually loading a png and rotating the bytes

This is not as hard as it might sound for one simple reason.

If you are manually loading it, then there is no reason to stick the png format, you can choose any format you want.

The format of bmp files is for example very simple, and well documented.

Alex

alex_crowther
    If you are manually loading it, then there is no reason to stick the png format, you can choose any format you want

This will work, but for Nokia phones only, you'll have to use Nokia's DirectUtils for it.

If you want a general solution, you'll have to eventually convert picture data into PNG format