Discussion Board

Thread: What to learn??

What to learn??

Hi!

Is there any sense to learn Java, when mobile phones with C++ support are released? C++ is running much faster and people say that more things can be done with it.

So why we are still learning Java??

BTW, one more thing. Why every software that helps with developing Java apps is written in that language? Apps written in other languages (Object Pascal or C++) are faster and don't take so much disc space).

Super Contributor
    I'm not even going to start on the Java/C++ discussion (there are enough flame wars about that on other forums ;P).

But with regards to your second point. Not all Java IDEs are written in Java. Google for JCreator.

shmoove

No going to discuss the second question

Is there any sense to learn Java, when mobile phones with C++ support are released? C++ is running much faster and people say that more things can be done with it.

And only small note on the first:
    Just yesterday I read one analysis on mobile industry dated summer or autumn 2003. There were presented Nokia hopes to sell 100mln Series 40 phones and 10mln Series 60 phones by the end of the 2003.

I think you could calculate difference in possible market size for Java and C++ yourself
    And this is jast a single particular case with Nokia, which is known for encouraging use of its Symbian C++

Why Java?

OK, I've calculated. But why Java is better than C++? The second one is running faster...

I hope I'll not have to learn C++ while I've just started learning Java!

Super Contributor
    Java is safer. It handles the memory for you and it doesn't allow access to low-level stuff. So on phones that are not running a full-fledged operating system like Symbian, you'll usually find Java or one of the equivalents (BREW, Mophun, etc.).

shmoove

Regular Contributor
    szymonpiechowicz,

It totally depends on what you want to make.
    If you're planning to write a high-speed game and/or a program making use of some features that Java (J2ME/MIDP/...) may not offer, you'll use C++.

Using C++ adds a burden on the developer to keep track of the resources allocated and used by the program. Memory leaks and such are hard to trace. Usually the development (and support) effort is greater when using C++. So, if it can be done in Java, do it Java, it'll save you effort, time and - if you plan to sell - money.

Cons Java: Performance is lower. Set of functionality is smaller.
    Pros Java: Shorter time to market. Better compatibility with other devices (i.e. a larger market).

My advice is to never be 'religious' about a programming language: Use what you need (and don't use what don't need).