Discussion Board

Beginning SMS Development

I am a beginner looking for some resources for SMS development but i am completely no ideas what are the things needed and also the most preferred language to code the SMS project. I am thinking of doing some project on SMS and looking for some resources useful for beginneer that would really aid me in doing this SMS project.

Thanks

RE: Beginning SMS Development

Not quite sure exactly what you're interested in knowing, but to do
    SMS, I have used C/C++ and Java. Also, perl would work well,
    especially in the CIMD (Nokia) world. Get a linux box, get the CIMD2
    documentation and first create a simulator of the SMSC itself. Once
    you've done this, write your client, starting with the simplest of
    commands (login), then do a submit, get a response to the submit, wait
    for a delivery receipt. Note that the data send and receives are all
    asynchronous, so you'll need two threads of execution, send and
    receiver. You will be responsible for synchronizing these two
    threads. Good luck.

P.S. It wouldn't hurt to get GSM 03.40 for some explanations of the
    message types and the field values, this is available at the etsi.org
    site (for free).

RE: Beginning SMS Development

I get to evaluate many applications written that interface with CIMD (amongst many other protocols). Not only have I seen different languages used but also on different platforms. These days Java seems to be the flavour of preference (and running on Sun - in the telecoms world Sun/Solaris equipment is gaining!). Not a lot of people are using C++ these days. To be honest though I have to say that the language used is one of the most minor things to consider. It is the structure of the code and thought behind it that matters. There are many ways in which to achieve the same end result and some work better than others.

So I would recommend using a language you are most comfortable with and concentrate in thinking how best the code should work at a higher level. Make it reliable. Make it work well in high load situations. Try to think about system failure and recovery so that when something goes wrong that your application can recover itself and not loose any messages being processed. Also make it modular, this gives you the best flexibility when introducing new features and interfaces.

That's my two-cents worth!
    cb