Discussion Board

Need example of External App. talking to MMSC.

Hello,

Could someone please send me a basic example of how an external application communicating with a Nokia MMSC would process a photo sent to that Nokia MMSC as an MMS?

Thank you,
    Douglass Turner
    voice/sms: +354 895 5077

Regular Contributor
    Hello

Can you please clarify your question?

What kind of application would you like... an Application Originating the MMS message, or an Application Terminating the MMS message?

We have both examples of these kinds of applications included with the "Nokia Mobile Server Services SDK" download and also with the "MMS Java library version 1.1" download.

To be more general, photos are sent as attachements in MMS messages. So, if your Application was recieving an MMS message, you would simple parse the message to extract the content (SMIL file, text file, image files, audio files, etc.). Photos are typicall sent/recieved as JPG or GIF (but can be other formats).

For a good example of Content in an MMS message, please refer to Figure 11 and 12 in "How to Create MMS Services v4.0" document.
    For content-types which can be sent via MMS, please refer to the "Messaging Characteristics in Nokia Phones" from www.Forum.Nokia.com

Hope this helps!

~quyen
    Last edited by quyen; 2004-04-08 at 00:48.

quyen,

Thanks for responding. I've developed technology that improves photos taken by camera phones which give poor results in low light condition and lack sophisticated metering resulting in undesirable high contrast photos outdoors. My technology significantly improves these classes of photos.

I want to be able to attach my software to an MMSC so that it can seemlessly improve cameraphone photos. So every photo sent through an MMSC also passes through my software.

Do you categorize this as an application terminating the MMS? Is there no category for "filtering" applications?

-Douglass

Regular Contributor
    Yes, there is a catagory for "filtering" applications. That is exactly what they are called. This would be and application that is both Terminating and Originating MMS messages.

However, if your application is only receiving from mobiles and sending to other servers (or even an e-mail address)... then it would be considered Application Terminating. If it re-formated the photos in an MMS and sent them to other mobile phones, the it would definately be a filtering application. Some carriers already have filtering applications on their MMSCs... which do optimize content in the MMS messages (like changing content type of images or deleting images or translating them to SMS) if the message is going to a specific phone that they know will not support certain content types.

Please look into the helpful documents we have available on the Forum.Nokia.com "Messaging" site to learn more.

Best of Luck!

~ quyen