Discussion Board

Sending MMS as OTA

Hello All,

I heard that we can send MMS message over the air without using wap gateways or MMSC and even without setting any MMS settings on the end user phone.

Only required media is GPRS

How it is possible?

Anyone did this? Any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hi!

This is not possible, MMS client needs to have a settings in place in order to fetch the MMS message from MMSC.

Teemu / Forum Nokia

Hello Mr. auvinent,

Thank you very much for your reply. But to my surprise one American company came to us and gave demo on that part. They told only GPRS connection is enough to deliver MMS messages. He even gave the demo to us.. But I could not belive him fully but message arrived on a NON mms configured client.

But I couldn't believe that till now.. either they must be frauding us or should be it is real.. I could not guess anything as I saw it with my own eyes...

he says that they are sending this MMS message in the form of OTA Binary format something like that

can u please tell me what might be that guy is doing?

anticipating your kind reply

Regards,
    Srikanth.

Nokia Developer Expert
    Hi!

You are saying that it was the standard MMS client in the device they used? What was the model number of the device?

Minimum thing that you have to have in device in order to receive MMS message from real MMSC is access point (GPRS) information and MMSC URL.

If the notification of new MMS hits to phone that has no settings in place will notify the user saying "Check multimedia settings"

Teemu / Forum Nokia

Hi auvinent,

Thank u very much for your reply.

I called up that guy and asked for it showing your previous reply. He told he manually configured the phone i gave him with gprs accesspoint which I am not aware of.

I could simulate it myself now...

I had one more problem with me here.. i sent OMA MMS settings to nokia 6600 phone with userpin as authentication. After I sent an MMS message to 6600 phone, it opens gprs connection itself but never able to retrieve while other models are retrieving the mms message successfully from my server

what could be the reason.. can u pls give me some suggestions on it

Regards