Discussion Board

System Help with nokia pc connectivity SDK

Hie greeting to all,

I am new to here, i'm posting here to see if anyone would help me out with the problem i faced. Now, i am plan to do a system that to perform the below

task.

1. Listen for incoming SMS, (correct if i am wrong, i would use smsNotify_MessageReceived() ) if message received the system will copy the SMS

message and save to database(or file)
    2. Delete the SMS instantly after the copy and save process completed(this is the avoid more incoming SMS and causes phone memory full)
    3. System then will read the SMS message from database(or file) and intepret the keyword in the SMS
    for example: TITLE 12345 BODY (i would like the system to able, identify different keywords to perform different respond, white space will

be used to determine end of the keyword)
    4. (optional) if possible i would like the system to be customise to be respond on certain keyword (system admin will able to set the desire keyword

and the system responds.)
    5. Later the system will be respond according to keyword in the SMS received (for example, SMS message received keyword is TITLE and system will

respond back with a SMS "Hello world" ps. each difffernet set of keyword will have a different set of respond)

GSM device: Nokia 6510
    Connectivity: irDA (ACTiSYS ACT-IR4000u)
    Database: mySQL or Ms SQL (recommended)
    Programming Languange: Visual Basic ( recommended, this could be implement in vb.net as well right ?)

This is theoretical how the system work, i not sure how well the system will be worked out. I had already tried out some example in the nokia pc

connectivity SDK 3.0. (i tried NokiaCLMessaging) It worked pretty well, 1st before anything i have few question to ask, i know it might sound lame

but i really need to know the answer.

1. what was the differnet between the Nokia SMS Adapter (Sms3aS.dll) and NokiaCLMessaging (NclMsg.dll) which will be recommended?
    2. With the system above does it able to respond to a large amount of SMS request ? would the system halt ? please recommend better solution if

any.
    3. am i able to connect a VB system to mySQL database ? ( i know it should work fine with Ms SQL don't talk about MSAccess i need the system to

handle large amout of data)

if any of you have similar system or module as above, would you please send a copy of it to me at eugene@gotka.com or zerobytes@time.net.my
    suggestion and comment would be welcome either.

thanks
    best regard,
    Eugene

ermm the thread has been posted for few days .. why i still couldn't get any respond fromy anyone.

anyway i found out some mistake in the Nokia pc connectivity sdk 3.0 extensive component library reference who should i forward the problem to ?

Regular Contributor
    Hallo gotka,

if you expect quick responses, ask just what you want to know. Maybe you're lucky and someone here will tell you each and every step for your task, but mostly this won't be the case.

This is what may help you:

1. what was the differnet between the Nokia SMS Adapter (Sms3aS.dll) and NokiaCLMessaging (NclMsg.dll) which will be recommended?
    Nokia SMS Adapter (Sms3aS.dll) are the "old" interfaces of the PC SDK 2.1 and should be used with older phones. All other phones that are supported newly by SDK 3.0 should be controlled by NokiaCLMessaging (NclMsg.dll) - The "Extensive Component Library". The latter one applies to the 6510 you are using.

2. With the system above does it able to respond to a large amount of SMS request ? would the system halt ? please recommend better solution if any.
    Many messages will trigger many events. You will not be able to handle it, if your system is too busy because of processing too many events at the same time. You may have to create a trade-off by polling for messages yourself if the number of "received" events gets too large. I think there is no "cooking recipe" for that.

3. am i able to connect a VB system to mySQL database ? ( i know it should work fine with Ms SQL don't talk about MSAccess i need the system to handle large amout of data)
    Never worked with mySQL so far, but if it provides an ODBC/OLE DB interface you can use it like you do with MSSQL/Access - via ADO for example.

Zamba

Hi,

3. am i able to connect a VB system to mySQL database ? ( i know it should work fine with Ms SQL don't talk about MSAccess i need the system to handle large amout of data)

yes, VB will work with mySQL thru ODBC but make sure you get the latest mySQL ODBC. I am using 3.51 and it works fine. You will get some intermittent problem if using older version

Yes, VB can work very well with MySQL, and myODBC is often the best way. For a faster interface look at VBMySQLDirect (written by Robert Rowe). For all your needs in this area, definately go to www.vbmysql.com they are very good there and the forums are also very useful.

Matt