Discussion Board

J2ME & Mobile Data Communications

For a long time many mobile phones have had the abilty to act like modems and provide a connection directly to another modem for internetor RAS type communications. What I am wondering is now with the advent of J2ME and newer mobile phones whether a hyperterminal like application can be integrated into the phone as a java Midlet?

This means that from anywhere I would be able to use the mobile to dial a computer and establish a point 2 point direct vt100/ANSI type terminal session with the other computer. The other end would be a simple remote console type connection with either a standard hayes modem or a mobile acting as one.

I would like to know if there are any existing applications which do this as I don't really have the time to develop a terminal program from the ground up for a phone, plus I don't have much experience in java development for mobiles. I would be prepared to just buy something if it worked with the phone I had (Nokia 6230) and it was reasonably priced. If not is the above application possible considering the internal J2ME mobile phone API's which I know little about but would be wiling to learn about if I had to.

I found an application called micro telnet which basically does the job but it only works using sockets and requires the target system to have an internet connection. In my application this isn't very much use to me as the target system has only a modem at the other end and no internet connection and we don't want to set one up. (for security reasons and cost/reliability).

Any help with answering my questions above would be greatly appreciated.

No, you cannot use phone modem from Java.
    You can use only HTTP. Some phones allow using sockets also

Help me pls

Pls if you found this solution, pls contact -me i will appreciate your help.

Best regards

Edson

Help HTTP

how to make this connection utilitying over http connection.

your help will be apreciate.

Morcegao

Regular Contributor
    ahem that info is clightly incorrect..

Coimm port apis for mIDP2 are an optionla api that some vendor hndsets do have..

Fro example iden Moto handsets midp1 and midp2 have this api fi they physically have a commport

Siemens 65x mIDP2 alos does..

That said you would have to look at the jsrs under J2me at jcp.org and see if ther is one that physically controles the mdoem aspect..

and then verify if thath jsr api is on your target hadnset..