Discussion Board

changing Alert timeout from FOREVER to finite

Hi,

I am writing a Bluetooth-aware midlet, in which i'd like to use Alert to display inquiry messages. so initially, i'd like Alert to be displayed as modal (FOREVER), and then have bt-related code make it disappear once inquiry is done by doing

setTimeout(1000) on already displayed Alert.

entire sequence:

alert.setTimeout(FOREVER);
    display.setCurrent(alert);
    //do some other stuff here
    //after a while call
    alert.setTimeout(1000);

//alert should be dismissed in 1 sec?

However, in my experience so far on Nokia 6600 and v0.31 s60 emulator, once the Alert is up, it stays up. Why is that and what can i do? Is it "legal" to change timeout value (and have it take effect) for an already displayed Alert? if not, how can i programmatically dismiss an Alert (other than by waiting for timeout to expire)?

thanks
    -nikita

Super Contributor
    Instead of trying to change the timeout just set another Displayable as the current screen. If you want to wait for one second you can either run a thread that waits and then changes the displayable, or make another alert and use setCurrent(Alert a, Displayable next) (the second option is easier but the first is better I think).

shmoove

the first one is a good (and now obvious solution). setting another alert while an alert already exists may not work however, because i remember reading that if one tries to do that (display one alert while another's displayed) an exception will be thrown..

-nikita

Super Contributor
    if one tries to do that (display one alert while another's displayed) an exception will be thrown
    I haven't heard that. You can try.
    Even if it's true, since the first alert has it's timeout set to forever, you could just as well make it a Form.

shmoove